Unanswered: DB design question...

Ok, so I'm making another DB and just wanted to get some input.

I'm trying to make a DB so that we can maintain a log on our 2,000+ Blackberries that we have at the organization. The DB is going to maintain who has the device, services done on the device, device specific information, and some other things.

The trouble I'm having is this:

1. I need to record what accessories are issued AND turned-in with the device. So I thought that having a seperate table with "Accessories" already listed would be best. Then the user would be able to select the accessories from a drop-down menu. HOWEVER, I figure if there are more than one accessory issued, then I'll run into a problem with fields like "Accessory1", "Accessory2", "Accessory3", etc. (Since I know that's not a normal form for MS Access) What's a way I can get rid of that issue?

2. I am going to have a "Issued" and "Turned-In" table so that when the device is issued, it and all the accessories are recorded. Then the "Turned In" table will record the information on what was turned in, what wasn't, and any reasons why. **This could be if a device needs to be swapped due to breaking also**

So does anyone know or can tell me a way that I can solve these two issues? Or if its a bad idea and a different method for it?

You'd be better off building your accessory table as follows:

DeviceID The Blackberry ID
    AccType Accessory Type, (Charger, headset, etc)
    DateOut Date the accessory was issued
    DateIn Date the accessory was returned

There would be a 1 to many relationship between the main table and the accessory table.

Hope this helps - Dennis
    Last edited by dmdinius; 03-02-09 at 18:40.

D,

Thanks for the reply. Now you pose another question. I wonder if I can combine two databases into one? Like have the "Blackberry Inventory" database for what devices and accessories are issued to a user AND have the "Device and Accesssory Inventory" database together? It would be so that when a device or accessory is added to the inventory or issued, the inventory is updated rather than having two separate databases?

Yes you'd be far better off putting all of this data into a single database. - Dennis