Unanswered: Query ignoring criteria

I have finally gave in and decided to post.... All suggestion appreciated.
    I am trying to create a query that:
    1. - returns all records that have "Active" in the "Status" field
    AND
    2. - has 1 or more empty cells from from a specific range of fields.

The below query has no problem with item 2. above, but ignors item 1. (returns records with "Inactive" in the "Status" field.)

If I run item 1. alone, it works. (ignors every without "Active" in the "Status" field.)

Is there another way to do this or am I missing something?

SELECT tblPrenatalLogs.[Pat #], tblPrenatalLogs.Status
    FROM tblPrenatalLogs
    WHERE (((tblPrenatalLogs.Status)="Active") AND (([tblPrenatalLogs]![Orientation Date]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![ICA]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![First OB]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Initial BH]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![PP BH]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Nutrition]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![2nd CPSP]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![3rd CPSP]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![PP CPSP]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Lactation]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Dental Ref]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![CBC]) Is Null));

I think

AND ((

should be

AND (((

With an extra ) at the end of the code

Edit: Then it would be "This AND (this OR this OR this... OR this)"

Although I am not sure why half of those brackets are there, but I haven't done any SQL in years.
    Last edited by steve2008; 03-02-09 at 18:30.

Provided Answers: 59
    Code:
    FROM tblPrenatalLogs
    WHERE tblPrenatalLogs.Status="Active" AND ([tblPrenatalLogs]![Orientation Date] Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![ICA]) Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![First OB] Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![Initial BH] Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![PP BH] Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![Nutrition] Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![2nd CPSP] Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![3rd CPSP] Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![PP CPSP]) Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![Lactation]) Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![Dental Ref]) Is Null OR [tblPrenatalLogs]![CBC] Is Null);
    think of it as a boolean expression
    1. - returns all records that have "Active" in the "Status" field
    AND
    2. - has 1 or more empty cells from from a specific range of fields.

ie
    where term1 = active AND (any of the following terms are null)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

It was acutally (2) extra "(" after AND and at the end of the code. Thanks Steve2008. Thanks guys, so it is now working and looks like this:

FROM tblPrenatalLogs
    WHERE (((tblPrenatalLogs.Status)="Active") AND (((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Orientation Date]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![ICA]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![First OB]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Initial BH]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![PP BH]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Nutrition]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![2nd CPSP]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![3rd CPSP]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![PP CPSP]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Lactation]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![Dental Ref]) Is Null)) OR ((([tblPrenatalLogs]![CBC]) Is Null))));