Question Unanswered: application using oracle like VB6.0

i am making an application and i am using ms access as backend and VB6.0 as frontend but i am aware that access has 2GB limit so i know i will use oracle someday as my database. also i wanna learn more on oracle.

is it possible to make an application using oracle like VB6.0?
    or
    Oracle is for backend only?

Provided Answers: 4
    Oracle offers bunch of developing tools, from Forms and Reports developers, JDeveloper (Java), Designer (which is capable of creating both schema objects as well as front end applications). Furthermore, as a beginner, you might be interested in Application Express (APEX) which is shipped along with a free Oracle 10g Express Edition (XE) database - it is a GUI tool that runs in an internet browser, used to quickly create an application.

Learn more about Oracle and its products at Oracle Technology Network. You'll also find a download section - for educational and testing purposes, all these products are free. Once you switch over to commercial area, you'll have to register them. However, already mentioned 10g XE is free even in commercial area (but it has certain limitations, such as 4GB of user's data).

follow up question

thank you very much.
    is it (APEX) different from pl/sql?

and i dont have to use crystal report to make a report base on the outputs that i want?

Question thanks

is JDeveloper (the one you told) and Oracle JDeveloper 11g the same?

Provided Answers: 4
    PL/SQL is procedural extension to SQL (i.e. it enables you to use - just as an example - loops, IF-THEN-ELSEs, write procedures and functions, etc. APEX is a GUI tool, and you can (and probably will) use PL/SQL in APEX's procedures.

JDeveloper, as most software products, has several versions. Such as MS Windows 1.0, 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, ... Vista, JDeveloper has its own releases. 11g is the last one so far. But yes, we are talking about the same.