Question How can I move into DB Admin

Hi,

I am currently working as a software tester. Some of my work envolve SQL.

I have always been interested in changing my career into DataBase Administration. But I don't know how to move into DB admin. I know that there are lots of DB admin Certifications out there. I think these certifications are useful for candidate that already have commercial experience DB.

I don't have the DB commercial experience so I wont risk it investing money in these certifications.

I would really apreciate it if you could advise me on what route I should take to get into DB ADMIN, and what are the skills I need to gain in order to get into DB ADMIN.

Your advise will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Serhan

1)On the contrary I would say certification could be very useful if you are starting out , as it gives you focus and shows serious intent
    2)download a free copy of a RDBMS , buy a sql book or look at a tutorial and start parctising
    3)Get a job , where you will have exposure , to DBA work

Question

Hi Jack,

Thanks...
    1) Could you please suggest for me an appropriate certification for starting out into db admin.
    2) Do you know of a web site where I can download/ tutorial for DBA?
    3) What are the DBA skills?

Quote Originally Posted by serhan
    1) Could you please suggest for me an appropriate certification for starting out into db admin.
    2) Do you know of a web site where I can download/ tutorial for DBA?
    3) What are the DBA skills?
    1. That depends on what RDBMS you are interested in learning. I would ask around your area and see what databases are popular, what databases are most prevelant in the business where you work and how much effort you want to put into being a DBA.
    2. This would depend on your answer to question number 1.
    3. This could be a rather exhaustive list. To start, when I hire an entry level DBA, I look for:
    - Programming knowledge
    - Ability to perform an install of the RDBMS software
    - Ability to perform the initial configuration of a database
    - Knowlege of how and why to perform proper backups (and recovery exercises)
    - Demonstrates an extreme willingness and ability to learn
    - The ability to think through diagnosis and remediation of problems
    - The knowledge of where to go to find answers to problems and questions about the RDBMS and databases in general
    - Lastly, certification does help if you have limited exposure to the above. Certification shows a willingness to learn and demonstrates that you are willing to invest the time and money to expand your skills and enrich your career.

I love being a DBA. It's a rewarding career, personally and financially.

first you can not be too attached to sleep, nutrition, fresh, air, exercise, friends or family and you must have no outisde interests of any consequence. After that the rest is just googling.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Seriously, it's not that bad. Admittedly there are times it may seem so, but I have a good team and we spread the pain evenly. We have lot's of family time and actual social lives and various hobbies. Again, can't ask for much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye234
    Seriously, it's not that bad. Admittedly there are times it may seem so, but I have a good team and we spread the pain evenly. We have lot's of family time and actual social lives and various hobbies. Again, can't ask for much more than that.
    Don't ever leave this gig - it's not representative of the real world, at least not mine. 2:30AM pages, late night upgrades, noone to "spread the pain evenly" with. Compensation is decent, I like what I do so from that perspective, it's good. But "lot's of family time and actual social lives and various hobbies" - not so much.

I don't plan on leaving. I love it here. Spent eight years with the local government and a few years consulting and then landed this gig. Working on my tenth year and, given this economy, hope it's for quite a while longer.