Thread: db2licm problem

Unanswered: db2licm problem

Hi, All

I have some strange problem with adding ESE license (db2ese_c.lic) on my test environment (SLES10 SP2 32-Bit + DB2 ESE 9.5.3a 32-bit on VMWare Workstation 6.5) :

db2inst1@sles10sp2:/opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/bin> db2licm -a db2ese_c.lic

LIC1449N The license was not installed due to a platform restriction.

Explanation:

This DB2 product is only supported in trial mode, also known as "Try and
    Buy" mode, on this platform.

User response:

Continue to use this product in trial mode, or install one which is
    fully supported on this platform.

How i can resolve it ?

Thank's

With best regards, Dmitry

I am assuming the problem is the VMWare or the SLES 32 bit. My guess is VMWare.

I really don't think you paid IBM to use an ESE license on that machine (which would cost $30,000 or more for the DB2 ESE license), so why don't you just use DB2 Express-C which is competely free to use?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    I really don't think you paid IBM to use an ESE license on that machine (which would cost $30,000 or more for the DB2 ESE license), so why don't you just use DB2 Express-C which is competely free to use?
    As i say previosly it's a test environment (for implementing 2 node HADR+TSA cluster). I'm just try to implement this as described in redbook "High Availability and Disaster Recovery Options for DB2 on Linux, UNIX, and Windows", chapter 12.3

I install DB2 ESE 9.5.3a fixpack on this SLES 10 SP2 boxes, create test database and succesfully setup HADR pair.
    Next i run db2haicu utility for setup TSA cluster domain, but it hang on step for creating public network with error message in diaglog about licenses. (currently can't provide this error text from db2diag.log)
    Next i try to adding db2ese_c.lic license, but have subject problem.

Will try on RHEL5.3 tomorrow.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mitrofun
    As i say previosly it's a test environment (for implementing 2 node HADR+TSA cluster). I'm just try to implement this as described in redbook "High Availability and Disaster Recovery Options for DB2 on Linux, UNIX, and Windows", chapter 12.3

I install DB2 ESE 9.5.3a fixpack on this SLES 10 SP2 boxes, create test database and succesfully setup HADR pair.
    Next i run db2haicu utility for setup TSA cluster domain, but it hang on step for creating public network with error message in diaglog about licenses. (currently can't provide this error text from db2diag.log)
    Next i try to adding db2ese_c.lic license, but have subject problem.

Will try on RHEL5.3 tomorrow.

Thank you

Perhaps you don't understand DB2 licensing. There is no free licensing of ESE for test environments. If you install ESE and want a permanent license beyond 90 days, you must pay for it. Or you can deinstall the product and reinstall it every 90 days (this works fine on Linux, and you just have to recatalog the databases, or restore them from a backup (make sure you take a backup before the 90 days is over). But it should only take a few days or weeks to test HADR, so 90 days should be plenty.
    M. A. Feldman

This problem related to Linux 32-bit distribution as described in

IBM - LIC1416N with -218 when installing license for DB2 9.5

2 Marcus :

I dont' want use test environment more than 90 day's, i just want to test new HA solution in 9.5
    I don't have troubles with HADR (it working good under trial license), i have problem with HADR+SAMP relation (it require licenses, and not possible to test it under trial license).
    So, it's not possible to test HADR+SAMP on DB2 9.5/Linux 32-bit, only on Linux 64-bit.

Does the SAMP license have anything to do with the DB2 license? It didn't back when I used SAMP, but that was release 2.1.

BTW, SAMP is a project. We dumped it for some custom written scripts using Red Hat Clustering.
    M. A. Feldman

Hi, Marcus

The problem was solved with adding TSAMP license file (sam22.lic) with samlicm command on both nodes.

After this, db2hauci utility succesfully create the cluster.

Thank you.