Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

The Yak Corral 006

To pre-empt any potential database melt-down, I'm creating a new thread to continue the ongoing "Yak Corral" discussion.

The Yak Corral is dead, long live the Yak Corral!

-PatP

Oh ye of little faith....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Wasn't 006 the corrupt one?

...perfect!
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    Oh ye of little faith....
    Oh no, I have great faith. I've survived many melt-downs!

-PatP

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

It was my turn!

Ooh - or mebbe I can be the one to create 007.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I thought Mike had his name on the next one? Nothing like a bit of healthy competition, eh
    George
    Home | Blog

&^(!*&^%)*$@# _!)@*(^$)*@^$ !@($*^)*!&^@ @^%^!&%$^#%! !@*&^%$*@!^&% V!@&^#(!@$*&B @!^)#$&*@%!$ !%#$@!(&^$!!!!?!?!

That is all.

*weeps quietly in the corner*
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

^^ Hahaha... that was post 777

Furthering my theory that everything lucky for everyone else is unlucky for me.

13 is my lucky number, and this Friday it's the 13th. Maybe things are looking up.

He cancelled my trip to Manchester, it looks like I won't be over there until June sometime
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

big hugs. hope it aint nothing too serious. if it makes you feel better I was very close to not getting off the train today, ending my IT career and wondering into the woods.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Call me when you do, I'll bring a tent.

Wow Rudy! I just realized I now know what you look like (or rather, what you looked like at some point in time ) since your face graces the back cover of your book. Kewl! Nothing like I envisioned.

In my mind you guys are all nerdy-looking.

I don't know why. *shrug* I guess 'cause we're all 'puter nerds. Still, I don't view myself as a nerdy-looking guy. Hmmmm...now my whole outlook on the profession, and, indeed m'ownself, has been shaken. I'll probably now have to go stare at myself in the restroom mirror, examining where I am and where I have come from. That may further shake my sense of who I am and my relationship to others in my realm of existence. It's quite likely that I will then have to reassess my place in the world, and may indeed end up in the woods with Sean or in Bolivia working cattle and horses.

Err...Thanks for the picture, Rudy.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

I look nerdy, and I'm cool with that.

*LOL* Good on ya, Mo!

BTW...I didn't mean to suggest that "nerdy" shouldn't be a source of pride, if I look nerdy, I would also proudly display my nerdiness. As a matter of fact, I do so now in other ways besides "looks". I proudly display my HP 16C calculators on desks both at home and at work. I also have a slide-rule in one of the cubby-holes in my desk at home (although I have not ever learned how to use it *sigh*). Still, having come from a "jock" background and only having obtained my "Nerd Card" from a complex mixture of luck, accidental scheduling, and an early long-term relationship with a chorus/drama/chess club girl, it is hard to reconcile what I see in my mirror with what my mind has always seen as a "nerd" face. Maybe the "nerd face" everyone used to have has matured and now just looks like a "regular" person.

I just looked around my department, and of 16 of us that share this enclosed part of the cubicle farm, there are really only 5 that I would personally be able to classify as "nerdy" looking. Of those, I can envision only 2 with pocket protectors and a slide-rule.

What has happened to the industry?

One of my previous step-daughters made me smile a few years back when she came home with a T-Shirt that said "I <heart> Nerds" on it.

You have me curious now though, Mo. I can't picture you as "nerdy". Probably because you're the only woman among the sharks. OMG, I suppose that marks me as a sexist pig now too. Damn. I spent a lot of time in High School and College hanging out with female friends that were perfect examples of "nerd looking chicks" and librarians. I have a lot of respect for them because they took a lot of crap, bounced back, can be talked to as equals (or better) and (you hadda know this was coming) were hot-looking wildcats when the glasses came off and the ponytails were let down.

*sigh* Maybe we ARE all just people.

Dammit Rudy. Before I saw your picture all I was thinking about today was eating a burger for lunch and picking up a case of beer on the way home (gotta iron tonight ).
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

Quote Originally Posted by TallCowboy0614
    What has happened to the industry?

You have me curious now though, Mo. I can't picture you as "nerdy". Probably because you're the only woman among the sharks. OMG, I suppose that marks me as a sexist pig now too. Damn. I spent a lot of time in High School and College hanging out with female friends that were perfect examples of "nerd looking chicks" and librarians. I have a lot of respect for them because they took a lot of crap, bounced back, can be talked to as equals (or better) and (you hadda know this was coming) were hot-looking wildcats when the glasses came off and the ponytails were let down.
    What happened to this industry is that someone decided to let the word out that IT jobs were readily available (in the 80's and 90's) and everyone jumped the bandwagon in the great paper chase. Unfortunately for us, that leaves a lot of untalented lazy people in the industry just because they took a class. C'est la vie.

As for my nerdiness factor, my office neighbor always has a chuckle at just how nerdy I am. She takes pictures of what I am wearing/doing and sends them to all her friends. The flipside is that I always get treated as an equal, I get talked to at a mature level with intelligence. I've also learned to be very pragmatic and logical, adding to the perceived nerdiness and it's why all of my friends are typically male and not the standard media female. I've also been told that the way I speak/write makes me unapproachable. I smile and internally think; "Good." and it's not because I'm anti-social, it's because I don't like to waste my time on trivialities and small talk. They stunt your brain. I'll keep my glasses and ponytail too!

As for Rudy, he would be the kind of person I'd like to have a beer with a few times a week after work. That smile is infectious and I'm willing to bet he has the demeanor that matches.

I am a total geek and a "cool" friend of mine calls me "smart brother" after the supporting character in undercover brother.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.