Unanswered: Consecutive Identitiy Values (was "Question again")

Hi....
    I have a question... I made a Table..... But when i delete a record and i put new one in the field (Code ID) continue from the way i started....
    For example

CodeID

delete (4)
    insert
    I wanna put again in 4 how i can do that???????

Provided Answers: 10
    Why do you want to reuse the value?
    George
    Home | Blog

mmm... i dont know... does really matter???????? just to be in order to see the user....

and not

Quote Originally Posted by gvee
    Why do you want to reuse the value?
    Indeed.

Your options are:
    1) Don't delete the data; modify it

2) Use some variant of DBCC CHECKIDENT to reset the seed value (be really careful here)

3) If you are just loading up the table for the first time (and want a clean sequential set of values), export all columns except the ID column, truncate the table, and then re-import them (ie, copy to a different, temp table, truncate the primary table, and then copy them back)

Think this one through... you don't want to design an application process around this (at least, I don't think you do).

Regards,

hmscott

Edit: Urgh. Add truncate step.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKain24
    I wanna put again in 4
    don't do it

identity values are unique, by definition, and that's all you should care about

the actual values, and whether there are gaps, should ~not~ matter

if you think it does matter, then you will need something besides an identity column for that purpose
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKain24
    mmm... i dont know... does really matter???????? just to be in order to see the user....

and not
    Never show your ID's (PK's) to users. Use another "key", a user-key, they can see. In time, they will come up with all kinds of clever tricks to make their keys "better", like make a numeric value longer or turn a numeric value to a text column or ...

By defining user-keys as ordinary attributes that could change over time, instead of taking your database ID's (PK's), you can alter those user-keys at will without disrupting your database.

Think about the implications when you would have to change a PK from INTEGER to BIGINT or CHAR(25) when that PK is referenced in other tables (FK).
    Compare that with the implications when you would have to change a non-PK column INTEGER to BIGINT or CHAR(25). Without that column being referenced in other tables.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages