Thread: Database Design

Unanswered: Database Design

Hi

I wanted to know that is it advisable to create multiple tables and join them with foreign key or create one table with all the columns in it. Which of the two would put less load on database.

Thx

Well, i'm no expert, but i think you're going to need to provide much more detail before anyone can give you any real assistance.

First of all, you have given absolutely no idea of what sort of data you're using, or what you want your database to do for you. It's very hard to give any advice at all without some details. Second, if all your data really can go into a single table, without the need for any relationships or foreign keys, then you probably don't need a database at all, and can probably just use a spreadsheet like Excel.

In the time i've been here, as a lurker and also making a few posts, i've found people to be very helpful and patient. But you really need to give them something to work with, some details that allow them to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by nitin257
    Hi

I wanted to know that is it advisable to create multiple tables and join them with foreign key or create one table with all the columns in it. Which of the two would put less load on database.

Thx
    First decide what your database is to hold. Then decide what all the things are that you want to store info about - these will become your tables. Then decide what information you want to store against these entities - these will become the fields in your tables.

You'd do well to read up a little on normal forms as a way to go about designing databases. It's pretty much always wrong to have just one table with all the fields in it.

I'm going to take a wild guess and presume you're not going to have millions of rows in your tables so I think you'll find database loading isn't going to be an issue for you.