Unanswered: Space allocation to the Filesytem

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding a designing part of the database. I need to know what should be the file size we need to assign to the backup directory and the filesystem where the transaction logs reside where the database is of 250 GB.
    I need to mention that the database is backed up in the compress mode and also we archive the databases to the TSM before we take the new backup

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by newdbsam
    I need to know what should be the file size we need to assign to the backup directory and the filesystem where the transaction logs reside where the database is of 250 GB.
    Backup -
    That would depend upon how much backups you want to retain.... Since it is just a single backup then it is the size of your backup + 10% - 20% buffer . More the buffer, better for your future needs.

As for the transaction logs, it depends upon how much primary and / or secondary log files you have specified, plus of course some good amount of buffer as the remaining older log files can then be archived
    IBM Certified Database Associate, DB2 9 for LUW

Thanks very much Nick and am sorry I did not mention that we maintain only the latest database backups on the server, rest are archived to the tape. I have three database on different instances on that server and they share the filesystem. The highly active one 250 GB. Rest two are close 80 GB each.

The log files are set in pretty standard way Logflsz is 5000, primary is set to 5 and we secondary 2. We have script in place which runs every 30 days 1st day of the month to purge after the backups are done.

Also I want to know how to go about deciding the storage for tablespaces. There are almost 50 tables in the 250 GB database and there 5 tables which are over a million row and we are planning range partition the table