Unanswered: A Couple Of Questions Re: What Access Can Do..

I'm trying to do up a database for a friend and he has some requirements that must be met and I just need to know if and how any of these can be done coz I'm completely stumped on them.

Client Number, using auto number can I set the auto number to start at a specific number, like not just 1, 2, 3 etc?

I need to be able to set a time limit for how long each employee has on an assignment. the limit would be 18 days, and i need to know if ms access can prompt us when the 18 days are over?

Also need to be able to say what day into their assignment they are.

Clients can sign up for different emails, is there a way i can make it so after ticking off what emails the person wants he can click something that send the emails for him, or will he have to do it manually?

I am using a switchboard thing for this one and is there a way i can have a button on it that will open up a form that will act as a way of searching. Like where up the top it will have a drop down box with employee's names and once a name is selected it will show all assignments that employee is working on?

also will a ms access database be alright to use one a server/lan setup with multiple people accessnig at once?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacjac
    Client Number, using auto number can I set the auto number to start at a specific number, like not just 1, 2, 3 etc?
    You can create a bunch of dummy records and then delete them all to force the auto-number to the number you want. Otherwise, you'll have to set the field to be a number and then calculate the number and set it to a record when you create a new one. Since I'm guessing you're rather new to Access I would suggest you go with the first one.
    I need to be able to set a time limit for how long each employee has on an assignment. the limit would be 18 days, and i need to know if ms access can prompt us when the 18 days are over?

Unless you have a form that runs in the background that is constantly checking for you, no it will not. But what you can do is set up a report which can calculate how many days an assigment is open and then have someone run it once a day.
    Clients can sign up for different emails, is there a way i can make it so after ticking off what emails the person wants he can click something that send the emails for him, or will he have to do it manually?
    Have a look at the SendObject method, here's an article on it.
    I am using a switchboard thing for this one and is there a way i can have a button on it that will open up a form that will act as a way of searching. Like where up the top it will have a drop down box with employee's names and once a name is selected it will show all assignments that employee is working on?
    The switchboard manager has inbuilt capability to open a form. And yes, you can set up a form to do pretty much anything logical. The question is how good are you with Access to be able to do what you want. For this particular task I would point you to subforms with a combobox on the mainform.
    also will a ms access database be alright to use one a server/lan setup with multiple people accessnig at once
    What you're asking gets into the realm of Front End/Back End setups, which I'm guessing is a little past your skill level right now, no offense. The short answer is that Access, quite simply, sucks as a back end though it makes a good front end or single-user application. Here's a brief article on it, but really this gets into a whole world of questions.

Me.Geek = True

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacjac
    You can create a bunch of dummy records and then delete them all to force the auto-number to the number you want. Otherwise, you'll have to set the field to be a number and then calculate the number and set it to a record when you create a new one. Since I'm guessing you're rather new to Access I would suggest you go with the first one.
    Quote:

Unless you have a form that runs in the background that is constantly checking for you, no it will not. But what you can do is set up a report which can calculate how many days an assigment is open and then have someone run it once a day.
    Quote:
    Have a look at the SendObject method, here's an article on it.
    Quote:
    The switchboard manager has inbuilt capability to open a form. And yes, you can set up a form to do pretty much anything logical. The question is how good are you with Access to be able to do what you want. For this particular task I would point you to subforms with a combobox on the mainform.
    Quote:
    also will a ms access database be alright to use one a server/lan setup with multiple people accessnig at once
    What you're asking gets into the realm of Front End/Back End setups, which I'm guessing is a little past your skill level right now, no offense. The short answer is that Access, quite simply, sucks as a back end though it makes a good front end or single-user application. Here's a brief article on it, but really this gets into a whole world of questions.

omg thanks