Thread: Trigger T-SQL

Unanswered: Trigger T-SQL

This is an update trigger

I have never worked with triggers b4 I understand most of the stuff im looking at except below.

When looking at it I am guessing that if the update is an insert get the Ref_No (PK) and then execute the mySproc SP. Is that correct?

SELECT @Ref_No = INSERTED.Ref_No
    FROM INSERTED

EXEC mySproc @Ref_No

Nope.
    If there has been an insert OR update, get ONE of the ref_no (there could be bazillions) and run the sproc for that.

Check out CREATE TRIGGER in Books Online
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezx10
    SELECT @Ref_No = INSERTED.Ref_No
    FROM INSERTED
    Never write triggers that way. A trigger must perform correctly whether 0, 1 or many rows are updated. In this case, if more than one row is updated the INSERTED table will contain multiple rows but only one (arbitrary) value will get assigned to @Ref_No.

Also, ask yourself why you can't do whatever task this trigger performs in a normal stored proc rather than a trigger. In general, avoid using triggers for any process that updates or modifies data. It's usually much better to do it in a normal stored proc rather than a trigger.

Thanks!

When we FIX this db we will not use any triggers (we will also add primary keys AND! relationships!)