Question Unanswered: Informix general questions (beginner)

Hi,

I've already used the search function but I couldn't find any useful answer...
    Now my questions (I'm sure some of you can anwer them easily):

1) In Informix (10FC5) there are no limitations concerning the number of rows, right? So one only should regularly check the free place in the chunks and of course the amount of extents.

2) Is it necessary to "tell" the DB to use free chunks as soon as a chunk is full (not enough place for new extents) or are free chunks automatically used after they have been created?

3) Usually there are tables for storing data and tables for storing index information. How are these tables (data and index) stored in a dbspace? Is it possible to force the DB to store the index tables in a dedicated dbspace instead of storing both - data tables and index tables - in the same dbspace?

I'm curious to read the answers. As my employer plans to administer the DB (instead of a service company) I have to clear some basic things...

Regs

pet

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by peturba
    1) In Informix (10FC5) there are no limitations concerning the number of rows, right? So one only should regularly check the free place in the chunks and of course the amount of extents.
    Do not take sales b**it - everything connected to computers is limited.

2) Is it necessary to "tell" the DB to use free chunks as soon as a chunk is full (not enough place for new extents) or are free chunks automatically used after they have been created?
    Generally speaking table (i.e. data) is stored in dbspace - as long as there is free space in dbspace you do not have problem. You must monitor space or you must be sure there's enough space forever.

3) Usually there are tables for storing data and tables for storing index information. How are these tables (data and index) stored in a dbspace? Is it possible to force the DB to store the index tables in a dedicated dbspace instead of storing both - data tables and index tables - in the same dbspace?
    Yes, when creating table you can specify dbspace, the same syntax is for index creation.

I'm curious to read the answers. As my employer plans to administer the DB (instead of a service company) I have to clear some basic things...
    If someone who wants to administer IDS do not know these things, I would suggest to outsource administration.

HTH

Question

Thanks for the information and your suggestions. There is one another thing which is unclear:

Through dbschema one can get information about how a table has been created. The dbschema output for various tables shows that the "create table" statement includes information about where (in which dbspace) a table was created (i.e. "IN bsi_dbs"). How does IDS know where a table should be created if there is no statement like this? We have two dbspaces (for ERP data), so is the data automatically stored in both dbspaces or do we have to use the "fragment" statement?

Regs

pet

try following command and see :

oncheck -pe

Informix provides a "release notes" document that will indicate the limitations of your particular flavor of IDS and it can be found in the directory where informix is installed. On AIX the document can be found in /usr/informix/release/en_us/0333 and is named something like ids_unix_release_notes_9.30.txt