Unanswered: New to Databases (Wanting to learn)

Hello folks this is going to be a newb question and probrably one I'll get flamed for but I want to learn and questions and reading is the only way. I've been reading and still not finding anything on this question.

If I have some source of data going into a text file (constantly) how do I take that data and connect it to say either MySQL or SQL Server Express so that it collects that data (automatically) and puts it in a table format (that either I create or edit). Secondly once it’s collecting that data and putting it into the Schema or DB how do I generate a report of it automatically.

Thanks in Advance

you'd use a cron job or a windows scheduled task

and by the way, don't worry about getting flamed -- the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

That doesn't adderss my question thanks anyway. What I'm looking for is how do a get MySql or SQL Express to read that text file and constantly and pull data from it...I don't see how Task Scheduler can make that happen...For instance in MySQL 5.1 when I log into the Administarator and select Catalogs I cannot click file open and select that text file and then automate the collection of data... this is what I'm trying to acheive. I can't seem to figure that part out.
    Last edited by Dadiib; 03-20-09 at 17:52.

actually, i think it does address your question

the "constantly" part is what the cron job or scheduled task handles

you could schedule it to run every 5 seconds -- is that constant enough?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

But how do I get the file information into MySQL.... for instance in Access 2007 I can import a text file and set it as a linked file so that if the text file is change so is the table.... What I can't seem to do is get the text file into MySQL and have it linked. Or am I just way off here....

look up the LOAD DATA INFILE command in da manual

rudy.ca | @rudydotca