Unanswered: CAST Numeric vs CAST int

Hi guys,

I have a weird issue that I am trying to figure out with no luck.

I have a table that contains a varchar(10) field that contains values such as 'MAR10', 'FEB09' etc. Basically it is a 3 char month plus a two digit year.

I have a stored proc that queries this table and uses the right function to grab just the year portion of the field and converts it into a numeric.

This field is then used in the order by clause.

The weird issue is this....

When I use

Code:
    Cast(Right(FM.FutureMaturity,2) as numeric) as [FutureMaturityYear]
    it fails saying "Error converting data type varchar to numeric."

If I change the line to
    Code:
    Cast(Right(FM.FutureMaturity,2) as int) as [FutureMaturityYear]
    The query runs without a problem.

I can't figure out why it would work for int by not for the more generic numeric. What am I missing?

you probably have one or more rows in the table where the data in your column does not match the pattern you have described.
    A value of '' does that for me. Interestingly this value casts to an integer value of zero, but won't cast to a numeric, giving the same message you have described...

That's what I originally thought myself so I did some investigation into the data that was being queried and there does not appear to be any problems there.

I then thought it might be due to the ORDER by clause but i have dismissed that as well as that should only happen after the base data has been grabbed (unlike a WHERE clause).

But I think I just figured out what is actually causing the issue.

The query I am performing spans multiple tables with criteria for the where clause spanning across them. I think the query is starting with a query across the FutureMaturity data table and then linking to the main query. So when it is doing the CAST it is not being performed across the subset of data I thought it was it is actually going across a larger cross section of data.

Now all I need to do is remember how to get a query plan for a stored proc and I will be able to confirm my suspicions.