Unanswered: SQL Server Enterprise 2008

I work in a company that uses SAP. So far, most of our info needs have been satisfied by this awesome application. Lately however, there have been overtures to install SQL Server Enterprise 2008 to complement SAP. I realize that SQL server supports SAP and SQL Server 2008 could be useful or even desirable. However, I would like to know in what actual or theoretical situation would 3 (THREE!) instances of SQL Server Enterprise 2008 be justified as proposed by the IT administrator? Even, without the cost considerations, I cannot foresee a situation where three (3) installations of SQL server can be justified in a single environment. Am I missing something here?

SAP AG is a software company. Possibly the software you are referring to is R/3, which is their popular ERP system. Is that so?

R/3 requires a DBMS server (eg. SQL Server, Oracle, etc) so you must have one of those already. Perhaps your IT administrator is just suggesting you add some additional servers (part of a cluster or mirror solution possibly). The person who proposed it is presumably the one best placed to answer your question.

Thanks for the reply.
    Possibly the software you are referring to is R/3, which is their popular ERP system. Is that so?
    True. Actually, there are plans to implement a Secure VPN with the Head Office. However, cost considerations would suggest that other alternatives (if there are any) be explored rather than the installation of an SQL server as a mirror solution to our Head Office data requirements. What comes to mind as a viable alternative is the implementation of an Edge Server to meet additional Head Office queries without installing an additional SQL server. Would this be as viable?

The person who proposed it is presumably the one best placed to answer your question.
    Touche! However, organizational politics require that counter proposals in this instance be based on available alternative solutions rather than on the logic (or lack of logic) of the IT admin's recommendations. The reason I asked the question in this forum is because although I am well grounded in IT, I obviously lack the technical know-how to engage the IT admin in a detailed technical discussion. However, my responsibilities require that I evaluate his proposal in the context of check and balances and that IT expenses do not go overboard....

Thanks. Additional insights would be greatly appreciated.