Unanswered: Adding an extra field to a form

I have modified the Projects Database template in Access 2007 to provide a risk monitoring database. I have added a table based on two evaluation criteria of impact and probability. Each of these can either be High, Medium or Low. The third field in the table is the result from the matrix e.g. High Impact plus High Probability equals an overall risk assessment of High.

When I try and add a field onto a form that shows the overall risk assessment based on the probability and impact already enetered, I get the right result but I cannot then add any more inforamtion to the form.

I have linked both the impact and probability fields of the simple table to the same fields on the original projects table.

Obviously I would like to show the matrix result on the form and see it changing if I change the impact and/or proability status.

I think the problem is my lack of understanding of lookup / updating data. Do i need an extra field in a table to add in the result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

robhope

Do not use a field to 'store' this information - use and unbound control which references the values of the other fields to display your result.

Theory is you should *Never (Arguable!) store a value which can always be calculated.

Certainly in this case at first glance, there is never any need to store it as a field.

Is the form bound to a query (does it have a query as the recordsource?) If so, you can easily add another control to the query say:

RiskAssessment: (CalculatedControlBasedOnOtherFieldValues*)

* You may be able to do this with IIF statements, a function or case statements.

Please Post a grid of the possible values of each control and the resulting 'Overall Risk' you require and I will assist further.

Impact Probability
    High High High
    High Med
    High Low
    Med High
    Med Med
    Med Low
    Low High
    Low Med
    Low Low

Also - what datatype are these fields and what are their names.
    Last edited by garethdart; 03-23-09 at 11:30.
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Gareth,

The form is based upon a table called Risks. I have created a new table called Risk Assessment with the info below:

Option Probability Impact Overall Risk Assessment
    1 (3) Low (3) Low (3) Low
    2 (3) Low (2) Medium (3) Low
    3 (3) Low (1) High (2) Medium
    4 (2) Medium (3) Low (3) Low
    5 (2) Medium (2) Medium (2) Medium
    6 (2) Medium (1) High (1) High
    7 (1) High (3) Low (2) Medium
    8 (1) High (2) Medium (1) High
    9 (1) High (1) High (1) High

The plan is to query and report on the overall risk assessment value for all the outstanding risks as well as being able to see the overall risk assessment on the form record. There is a subform with four criteria matrix in a s well so I hope to do the same for this.

Just one last question - Are these Access tables or do you have an SQL backend?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Gareth,

It is a modified Access 2007 template database. Does this mean there is no SQL?

robhope

Ok first maybe use an inline function:

Add this module:

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Public Function strReturnProbability(intImpact As Integer, intProbability As Integer) As String

strReturnProbability = "Unknown"

If Not IsNull(intImpact) And Not IsNull(intProbability) Then

Select Case intImpact

Case 1

If intProbability = 3 Then

strReturnProbability = "Medium"

ElseIf intProbability = 2 Or intProbability = 1 Then

strReturnProbability = "High"

Else
    'Should not get this far

End If

Case 2

If intProbability = 1 Then

strReturnProbability = "High"

ElseIf intProbability = 2 Then

ElseIf intProbability = 3 Then

strReturnProbability = "Low"

Else
    'Should not get here if values are bound and can only be 1, 2 or 3

End If

Case 3
    'It is 3

If intProbability = 2 Or intProbability = 3 Then

strReturnProbability = "Low"

ElseIf intProbability = 1 Then

Else
    'Should not get here if values are bound and can only be 1, 2 or 3

End If

End Select

Else

'One or both of the values are currently null
    'string will remain 'Unknown'

End If

End Function

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In your query grid, add your table and fields and also add

Probability: strReturnProbability([intImpact],[IntProbability])

This uses an inline function and should return your correct results?

intImpact intProbability Probabiliry
    1 1 High
    1 2 High
    1 3 Medium
    2 1 High
    2 2 Medium
    2 3 Low
    3 1 Medium
    3 2 Low
    3 3 Low
    1 0 Unknown
    0 0 Unknown

Try that for starters - we made need to add some additional code to update during form events but let me know if you understand the above first.

The other option is to use a nested IIF statement, although these can be a little complex to debug - I would suggest the above approach unless the query is going to be returning large amounts of data in which case there may be performance issues.

PS intImpact and intProbability should be replaced with your real fieldnames and I have ASSUMED (naughty me) that they are integers?

Gareth,

I am afraid that the data is stored as (1) High, (2) Medium or (3) Low in both the Probability and Impact fields - mainly for sorting purposes.

I have attached a screenshot of the results of the query where the ID field is the unique ID field from the main input form.

I have never used modules so it is new to me. Would ReturnProbability be OverallRiskAssessment in my case?

I thought I knew a little about databases but it seems I know even less.

I am not sure how to proceed.

robhope
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Risks Query.JPG  

Thumbs up Exta field on form

No worries Rob - we can work through this no problem.

Can you send a screen-shot of your table DESIGN please?

This will hopefully show the datatype of the fields in question...(I may suggest you change these assuming you don't have any real data in in yet)

Gareth,

Please find the screenshot of the table design attached (Risk Table). I added an Overall Risk Assessment field in case the data needed to be stored. The Target Probability and Target Impact are for comparison with the real values.

I have added an extra field in the Risk assessment table (attached) to store the results numerically. This will allow counting and averaging in reports..

I have also attached the input from where I would like the Overall Risk Assessment field shown.

Cheers,

robhope
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Risk Table.JPG   Risk Assessment Table.JPG   Risk and Task Details form.JPG