Question Unanswered: Assess database/s to auto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

Hello

I am trying to get my database/s to auto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

as I have multi user enviorment and there are around 10 users ..

I was wondering if anyone can please please please help me with this issue..

all your help would be very much appreciated.

Thnx.

Question uto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

Hello

I am trying to get my database/s to auto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

Thnx.

Question Assess database/s to auto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

Hello

I am trying to get my Assess database/s to auto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

Thnx.

Question Assess database/s to auto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

Hello

I am trying to get my Assess database/s to auto compact and repair at the end of every last session.

Thnx.

There is an option for this but it is better to address the underlying issue.

Can you give us some more details on your setup:-

Do you have a seperate Front-end / Back-end?

Are your using MDE files for the Front-end?

What issues are you getting with the database?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Provided Answers: 14
    Menu Tools --> Options --> General --> Compact on exit

Have a nice day!

Question Thnx Sinndho

Menu Tools --> Options --> General --> Compact on exit

but does it do it at the end of very last session ... e..g if i have 10 users and at the end of very last session (10th user comming out) whould it work ?

thnx

I hope you have a good backup procedure in place...
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Question

Quote Originally Posted by garethdart
    There is an option for this but it is better to address the underlying issue.

Can you give us some more details on your setup:-

Do you have a seperate Front-end / Back-end?

Are your using MDE files for the Front-end?

What issues are you getting with the database?
    Hello GarethDart,

thank you for your reply ,

we actually are running Access based database and we do not have MDE for front end.

nither we have seperate back/frond end.

looking forward to your reply.

thnx

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by garethdart
    I hope you have a good backup procedure in place...
    yes we do have a centeralised back up setup on server , this happens every evening ..

as the users access the databases from the server.

Are they all opening the same .MDB file????

OK - Don't select this option by default, you can perform compact and repair every now and then which should suffice. Just make sure no-body else has access - maybe do 'out of hours'.

I would recommend that you consider migrating to a back-end / front-end setup in the longer term.

Provided Answers: 19
    Several things:

1. Compact on Close, in a multi-users environment, will only execute when the last user closes Access
    2. Compact on Close is one of the worst features Microsoft developers ever came up with. Paradoxically, C & R is a frequent cause of data corruption! It should never be done without backing up the file first.
    3. Having multiple users run a single, undivided database is another sure-fire way to corruption. You simply have to divide this app into a front end/back end with each user having their own copy of the front end on their PC.

Not trying to scare you, but you really are sitting on a land mine, and sooner or later, as you're now configured, it's going to explode!

And when it does, don't be terribly surprised when the IT people tell you "Oh, we've been having problems with the backup program, and it's been down for two days!"
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Excellent response Missinglinq.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)