Unanswered: Duplicate Records

Hi All,

I have identified duplicate records that I need to delete. I am not sure how to do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 11
    You could select a unique set of the duplicates to a temp table, delete all of the duplicates from the permanent table, then reinsert the rows you saved in the temp table.

Oh, and impose a primary key immediately after that ;-).

mcrowley, i will bet you a beer that the table already has a primary key, and that it's an IDENTITY column
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

What about primary key? How will I be able to reinsert it? I can't select the primary key field in my query that returns duplicate rows.

Does your table have a key or not? If it does then it doesn't have duplicates. This example may help:

Code:
    CREATE TABLE tbl (col1 INT NOT NULL, col2 INT NOT NULL, col3 INT NOT NULL /* NO KEY!! */);
    INSERT INTO tbl VALUES (1,1,1);
    INSERT INTO tbl VALUES (1,1,1); -- duplicate
    INSERT INTO tbl VALUES (2,2,2);
    INSERT INTO tbl VALUES (2,2,2); -- duplicate

WITH t(r) AS
     (SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY col1, col2, col3 ORDER BY col1, col2, col3)
      FROM tbl)
     DELETE t WHERE r > 1;

Provided Answers: 11
    Sounds like I owe you a beer, Rudy.

Inka: how are you defining "duplicates".

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    Does your table have a key or not? If it does then it doesn't have duplicates.
    that is mere pedantry, david

with an IDENTITY primary key, it most certainly is possibly to have "duplicates" -- duplicates of the "real" key, which invariably was not defined with a UNIQUE constraint

consider --

123 tom
    125 rick
    126 harry
    127 tom
    129 david

see the duplicate?

do a search in your favourite search engine for "removing duplicates" and you will see that there are literally millions of web pages on this topic
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 54
    inka:

How do you decide a row is a "duplicate" for you? When you have "duplicate" rows, how do you decide which one of them you want to keep?

This kind of problem usually isn't hard to fix, and once fixed it is usually easy to prevent it from re-occuring. The problem is that every time I see this kind of problem, the definition of "duplicate" and the way to determine which row you want to keep seems to be unique!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    that is mere pedantry, david

with an IDENTITY primary key, it most certainly is possibly to have "duplicates" -- duplicates of the "real" key, which invariably was not defined with a UNIQUE constraint

consider --

123 tom
    125 rick
    126 harry
    127 tom
    129 david

see the duplicate?

do a search in your favourite search engine for "removing duplicates" and you will see that there are literally millions of web pages on this topic
    Exactly. But unfortunately these questions usually begin like inka's did with someone saying "I need to delete duplicates" and believing they have adequately specified the problem. Knowing what keys exist is a pre-requisite to solving almost any problem in SQL, yet that information is very commonly left out.

dportas,

Thank you very much for your solution. It gave expected results.