Question Propagating data among tables

Hi all:

This may be a fairly noob-ish question, but I'm a developer and new to actual DB development (beyond simple DB's & queries anyhow). I searched a bit, but I didn't quite find this topic.

What I'm needing to understand is how to propagate data from one table into a few others which are related.

I have a field, ProjectID, which will be the PK and populated from an XML file using Integration Services (SSIS). I need to insert this ID (and possibly a couple other fields) into 3 other tables. My thoughts are that I need to write an "after insert" trigger.

Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.

If this gets into specific SQL Server functionality, I'll move into the SQL Server forum. However for now....
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlovelyBassman
    I need to insert this ID (and possibly a couple other fields) into 3 other tables. My thoughts are that I need to write an "after insert" trigger.
    ....what are the "other fields"? (when talking about databases, these are columns not fields )

Whether or not this is a good idea depends on what you want to propogate, from where to where. In short, you should not duplicate data in multiple tables (apart from primary keys when establishing relationships) but it isn't clear if this is what you are doing.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.