Unanswered: Serch Engine Friendly Site...

Hi,
    I have a issue with the url mapping in ASP. I have a page called "Hotel_List.asp" which contains the list of the hotels. I can click any of the hotel form the page and same gets href to "Hotel_Details.asp?id=1234". And then the browser displays the hotel details of the hotel with the the id = 1234. and also the url changes to "..../Hotel_Details.asp?id=1234"

This is not a search engine friendly way of doing it. It should always be HTML for the serach engine friendly nature of the site.

Also I want to display the url to be ".../le-claridge-champs-elysees.html", instead of "..../Hotel_Details.asp?id=1234". i.e. the hotel name as per the id. In this case the name of the hotel is "e-claridge-champs-elysees" and the id is "1234"

Then I thought to map the url internally at IIS level through some add ons (mod_rewrite) for IIS.

Kindly suggest me the way....

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha

mod_rewrite is the way most people solve this problem

i do it a bit differently

i have a "custom 404 handler" (sorry, i have no idea how to set that up in IIS) which is a module that gets control whenever the web server detects a 404, so instead of the web server just issuing a 404, this module gets control instead

then this module looks at the url that was requested, pulls out the page name, looks that up in a database table, and then pulls the content for that page out of the database and displays it

the url that the person typed in remains the same in the address bar, and no 404 is issued

(of course, if the page is not found in the database by name, then it actually is a genuine 404)

this method also allows you to manage the set of page names with an admin interface to the database, rather than having to add to a long list of lines in a mod-rewrite module
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

There is nothing wrong with using asp all the search engines that matter can interrupt Querystrings. The problem with using IDs is thaey have no bearing on the content 1234 means nothing whereas describes the content

Hotel_Details.asp?Hotel=claridgechampselysees.

mod-rewrites are unnecessary if you structure you content correctly.

Go and look on google for Trevor Sutton and you will find Querystrings being used.

Simon

Provided Answers: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by DBA_Rahul
    Hi,
    I have a issue with the url mapping in ASP. I have a page called "Hotel_List.asp" which contains the list of the hotels. I can click any of the hotel form the page and same gets href to "Hotel_Details.asp?id=1234". And then the browser displays the hotel details of the hotel with the the id = 1234. and also the url changes to "..../Hotel_Details.asp?id=1234"

This is not a search engine friendly way of doing it. It should always be HTML for the serach engine friendly nature of the site.

Also I want to display the url to be ".../le-claridge-champs-elysees.html", instead of "..../Hotel_Details.asp?id=1234". i.e. the hotel name as per the id. In this case the name of the hotel is "e-claridge-champs-elysees" and the id is "1234"

Then I thought to map the url internally at IIS level through some add ons (mod_rewrite) for IIS.

Kindly suggest me the way....

Thanks,
    Rahul Jha
    don't you mean human friendly

it the computer doing the "Serch Engine thing ...not a human "

use the meta tagscorrectly

I sometime get the asp to make a the blank page call lets say "le-claridge-champs-elysees.html" and then rediect that point to to Hotel_Details.asp?id=1234
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.