Unanswered: No error, so no rollback

I have a problem with SQL code, which worked fine for over a year, but now all of a sudden behaves strangly in several databases. I cannot reproduce the problem myself what makes it even more difficult.

It's about a site that employees can use to register the hours they work in a week. These records are put in a table ESS_dwwuren. After that, a manager on another part of the site, can approves these hours and the records are then inserted in the tabel Dwwuren. Consequently they are deleted from the original table. All this within a transaction and a try...catch construction.

Now, all of a sudden, it happens more and more that hours are not inserted in the target table, now error is raised, therefore the code runs on and delete the records in the source table. Result: data gone.

What can be the reason that INSERT doesn't work. But, more interestingly, why is no error raised? Many weeks are approved without a problem, and every once in a while this problem arises. It can't have anything to do with locks (I think), because it's an INSERT statement.

At this moment the databases (quite a few) run on a web server with SQL Express installed. Could it be that SQL Express isn't able to deal with all the requests? But than again, why is no error raised.

Who can help me?

Provided Answers: 14
    Post the code please. It's almost impossible to answer such a question without having a precise idea of how the code is written.

Have a nice day!

Here you go

BEGIN TRY
    BEGIN TRAN

SET DATEFIRST 1

--Het wegschrijven van de uren in de PlanRadtabel
    INSERT INTO dbo.dwwuren (Personeelsnummer, Projectnummer, Datum, Soort, Uren, Opmerking, ESS_Gewijzigd)
    SELECT Personeelsnummer, Projectnummer, Datum, Soort, Uren, Opmerking, 1 FROM dbo.ESS_dwwuren
    WHERE Personeelsnummer = @Personeelsnummer
    AND (dbo.fn_WeeknummerISO(Datum) = @Week AND YEAR(dbo.fn_BepaalEinddatumWeek(Datum)) = @Jaar)

--Het wissen van de uren uit de brontabel
    DELETE FROM dbo.ESS_dwwuren
    AND (dbo.fn_WeeknummerISO(Datum) = @Week AND YEAR(dbo.fn_BepaalEinddatumWeek(Datum)) = @Jaar)

--De oude status wordt vervangen door de nieuwe
    UPDATE dbo.ESS_Weekstatus
    SET Status = 3
    AND WeekJaar = dbo.fn_VersleutelWeekJaar(@Week, @Jaar)
    AND Status = 2
    AND Soort = @Soort

COMMIT TRAN

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

ROLLBACK TRAN

--Wegschrijven van de foutmelding

DECLARE @Foutmelding nvarchar(4000), @Foutnummer as int, @FoutErnst as int

SET @Foutnummer = ERROR_NUMBER()
    SET @Foutmelding = ERROR_MESSAGE()
    SET @FoutErnst = ERROR_SEVERITY()

INSERT INTO dbo.Logboek (Tijd, Personeelsnummer, [Week], Jaar, Melding)
    VALUES (GETDATE(), @Personeelsnummer, @Week, @Jaar, 'Fout ' + CAST(@Foutnummer as nvarchar(400)) + ': ' + @Foutmelding)

RAISERROR(@Foutmelding, @FoutErnst, 1)

END CATCH

END