Unanswered: Sybase transaciton query

Hi Experts!

I would like to understand how Sybase transaction works. A complete flow of transaciton will be helpful. Just a case like if I do update on a table what happens exactly...effect on pages in data cache..syslogs in memory or on disk..

Please help.

Regards,
    Ram

I do not think you will get tutorials here. Read the manuals, but note that Sybase did not invent transactions, they were invented and standardised about 17 years prior, along with a set of properties called ACID Properties, which code segments have to conform to in order to be called a "transaction". Then SQL, which was invented by IBM for Relational Databases, was taken over and standardised by ANSI.

Sybase implements ANSI SQL plus extensions.

While ANSI SQL (and thus Sybase) has commands to control transactions, neither ANSI nor Sybase manuals actually teach transactions, they teach how to use the product, and thus implement transactions. Your code, good or bad, standard or sub-standard, experienced or innocent, controls transactions, and thus controls what Sybase does under the covers; ASE merely executes the code you give it.

Transactions are taught in any decent IT course. Understanding transactions is in large part about understanding good application design; the particular vendor's database implementation is a small part (and one vendor may do better than another).

Read the manuals , specifically look up sections re:
    - transaction isolation level
    - locking
    - commands: begin tran, commit tran and rollback tran
    - transaction log

and ask specific questions.
    Regards
    Derek Asirvadem (Formerly DerekA)
    Information Architect / Senior Sybase DBA
    Copyright 2009 Software Gems Pty Ltd

I answer questions from the Original Poster only. If you have a genuine question, as the moderators have requested, start a new thread.

http://www.softwaregems.com.au