I am currently receiving the following error message on my postgres 8.1 install after a vacuum analyse.

NOTICE: number of page slots needed (1623232) exceeds max_fsm_pages (524288)
HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages" to a value over 1623232.

This vacuum analyse runs every night after a database update, truncating and update most tables in the database, this database is roughly around 200GB in size.

I made the recommended changes to the max_fsm_pages and restarted the server for the changes to take effect. When the vacuum ran that night the error appeared again in the log file but with the changed figures below.

NOTICE: number of page slots needed (3357632) exceeds max_fsm_pages (2097152)
HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages" to a value over 3357632.

What concerned be was that if i changed the max_fsm_pages value, i will get the max_fsm_pages message again with a different set of numbers. Really i'm looking for a bit of advice as to what i can do stop this message appearing....should i run a full vacuum on the database or is there another soloution as i'm a bit concerned as to how long this will take on a 200GB database.

Thanks for all your help

Fran