Unanswered: Warning when opening table's Design view

Thanks to all who can help.

I am running SQL Server Enterprise Edition version 8.00.2039 sp4 on a 4 cpu machine with 8191Mb OS memory. Windows 2003 Enterprise is the OS.

Our intranet is relatively tiny. A few days ago access to the timesheet part of our app began to get real slow. (Questions about htis will be in another post ) The Timesheet detail table is only 16 columns and contains 143,000 records. Pretty tiny for this version of SQLServer.

I noticed that when I go to the timesheet detail table, right click and choose Design Table, I get a popup warning that reads:

"Saving definition changes to tables with large amounts of data could take a considerable amount of time. While Changes are being saved, table data will not be accessible. Do you want to continue?"

Can anyone tell me why this message comes up? Smaller tables do not show this message so I'm wondering if there is a number of records at which this message is triggered.

Also, please note that this message comes up when I click 'Design View'. Normally this happens after you alter a table and then go to save your changes.

Thank you!

Provided Answers: 1
    You worry too much, my friend.
    Yes, I imagine there is a trigger point on the number of records that causes that message to appear. Your changes will complete quicker than a hiccup.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

LOL. Actually that particular message doesn't worry me at all but my manager, who I think has less knowledge of SQL Server internals than I do, if that is possible, asked me to check it out. Our googling only found this happening when someone tried to save changes and not upon entering design view. If anyone knows the trigger point off the top of their head it would be cool to add it to my useless knowledge file.