Question Need some input...

Hello all,

I am working on my first database project and just needed to air my thinking and hope for a little input.

Basically I am working on a system to track computer software licenses. I am trying to keep track of what licensed software is installed on an organization's computer system so I know if a program that has been installed on a PC is covered by an appropriate license.

So far I have an entity called LICENSE with the attributes Lic_Id, ProductName, Version, Quantity, Type, and ExpirationDate.

I have also got an entity called COMPUTER and another entity called INSTALLED_SOFTWARE that will be related to COMPUTER. INSTALLED_SOFTWARE will be the table that has the instances of all licensed software installed on a specific computer and has attributes ProductName, Version, Lic_Id, Computer_Id. An example instance would probably look like:
    Windows, XP Pro, 22, 30.

My thinking is getting clouded though when I deal with upgrades. In that case for example, say I have Windows XP Pro installed on a computer, but it was an upgrade. In that case I would need to know that a computer is covered by a license for the upgrade AND a license for a previous version (ie Windows XP Home).

How would you handle something like this?

Seems to me that a license is for a particular product, so that is the table where you should be storing product name, version, etc. Not in the INSTALLED_SOFTWARE table, which should only relate physical computers to the software records in the LICENSE table.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Yes, but a license for one product can sometimes cover others. For example, a Windows XP Pro license could be used to license a computer with Windows 2000 Pro.

The you'll need separate tables for products, licenses, and computers, plus tables to relate those such as LicenseProducts and ComputerProducts.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com