Unanswered: Executable Description Location - Help Needed

Good Afternoon,
    I was wondering if someone knew of an article or location on the net where I could locate what the Executable Files in \oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin do? I have a nice long list here of all of our current .exe files in that location but would like to know what each of them does. The reason I am requesting such information is we are about to dip into adjusting the stack memory on several of our executables and we would like to review each one before making any changes.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    If you do not know what an executable does, based upon what measure will you decide whether any adjustment is needed & in which direction?

I've been doing Oracle since V7.3 & I have never heard anything about "adjusting the stack memory" prior to your posts.

What Operating System name & version?
    Which Oracle version to 4 decimal places?

What problem are you really trying to solve?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

We have been having some issues with Out of Memory Errors in JD Edwards. Oracle has suggested that we use the Orastack Utility to adjust the stack memory of our executables from the default 1Mb to 500k. In doing this we will free up memory from such processes that don't require 1MB of memory. I have 111 executables here and would like to go through them and determine with our current setup and usage which ones would be best to leave at 1mb and which ones to alter.

Some examples are:
    c:\> orastack oracle.exe 500000
    c:\> orastack tnslsnr.exe 500000
    c:\> orastack sqlplus.exe 500000

Going back to my original question "I was wondering if someone knew of an article or location on the net where I could locate what the Executable Files in \oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin do? I have a nice long list here of all of our current .exe files in that location but would like to know what each of them does."

Memory is not that expensive. Why don't you just get more for your server? It is a better idea then crippling software by decreasing it's usable stack.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    0.5MB*110 = 55.5MB save MAXIMUM RAM "freed up".
    Since most of these executables rarely, if ever actually, run the net savings will be negligible at best.

Sometimes Oracle Tech Support gives ineffectual "advice".
    I suspect that the database server system as multiple GIGABYTES of RAM.
    They are grasping at straws.

I am confident the Out of Memory error will continue, after you have completed this futile effort.

Good Luck (You'll need it)!
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jjester
    Oracle has suggested that we use the Orastack Utility to adjust the stack memory of our executables from the default 1Mb to 500k.
    And they didn't tell you which executables to change?

I very much doubt that sqlplus.exe has anything to do with the memory that your Oracle instance is using, nor does tnslsnr.exe.

Why don't you ask the Oracle support person who suggested to apply the orastack utilty which programs exactly you should change.

Actually I would be surprised if anything but oracle.exe is used for a running instance (and .dll files that are needed by it).

I agree with anacedent that this will most probably not solve your memory problems.

Btw: when you say you have "Out of Memory Errors in JD Edwards", why don't you check that application? Sounds like the app is having a problem not Oracle.

And I wouldn't shoot blindly in the dark (= changing all .exe files) but try to pin-point the statement in your application that is causing this error.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    Memory is not that expensive. Why don't you just get more for your server? It is a better idea then crippling software by decreasing it's usable stack.
    We have more then enough physical memory, we have 8 gigs in the Server right now, yet we are only running a 32 Bit Operating System. So sorry to say we are not actually using ALL 8 gigs. We are considering moving over to a 64 Bit Operating System if some fine tuning and adjustments to fix our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    0.5MB*110 = 55.5MB save MAXIMUM RAM "freed up".
    Since most of these executables rarely, if ever actually, run the net savings will be negligible at best.

Sometimes Oracle Tech Support gives ineffectual "advice".
    I suspect that the database server system as multiple GIGABYTES of RAM.
    They are grasping at straws.

I am confident the Out of Memory error will continue, after you have completed this futile effort.

Good Luck (You'll need it)!
    Our current setup is only a few months old, yet we have grown so quickly that we have actually over populated the system. With that said we are trying to make adjustments to the memory usage in order to support a larger population of users. With that said, Oracale has made two suggestions, this is one we are investigating currently.

This is from another post i made, maybe it's a tad bit clearer.

Oracle has Stated in Articles the follow:

"Oracle supplies the ORASTACK utility to allow customers to modify the default
    stack size of a thread / session when created in the Oracle executable. When
    ORASTACK is run against specific executables it alters the part of the binary
    header that defines the default stack size used by the create thread API. It
    is not necessary to change the default number of pages committed by the thread
    because these will be allocated as required from the stack. By reducing the
    stack of every session created in the Oracle executable, it is possible to
    achieve a larger user population. In a system with a 1000 users reducing the
    stack from 1Mb to 500K would release 500Mb of the address space for other
    allocations or more users.

ORASTACK must be run against all processes that can create a thread in the
    Oracle executable, use the following syntax :

orastack executable_name new_stack_size_in_bytes

Below are examples of setting the stack to 500K for the main executables :

orastack oracle.exe 500000
    orastack tnslsnr.exe 500000
    orastack svrmgrl.exe 500000
    orastack sqlplus.exe 500000"

My Question for everyone is they say in the last few lines "Below are examples of setting the stack to 500K for the main executables". Are there additional main executables that can be used with the orastack command to adjust the stack memory?

Quote Originally Posted by jjester
    We have been having some issues with Out of Memory Errors in JD Edwards.
    Are you sure that tweaking Oracle will resolve JDE errors? JDE is notorious for opening inordinate number of database connections, but it does not look like the direct cause of your errors. Are you running JDE on the same server with Oracle?

What other memory tuning options did you consider so far? Shared server? Tuning SGA and PGA?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.