Question Student interested in DBA occupation

Hi everyone, my name is Lauren and I am a current student working on a Master's in Library and Information Science at San Jose State U.

I am interested in working as a database administrator for a library (or other setting as well), and I have some questions to ask people that are already working in the field. A few responses would be greatly appreciated, and you don't have to answer all questions. Post in the forum or send me a message.

Thank you!!

Name:
    Company:
    Title:

Brief job description:

How did you choose/come to your position?

What do you feel was most important for you in obtaining your job? Was it networking, education (alma mater, coursework, grades), previous experience, the interview, or something else?

What were your qualifications and educational background before you were hired?

How have you approached continuing your education? Are you taking courses, doing independent reading, or learning on the job?

Are you a member of any related professional associations?

What advice would you give to someone interested in working in the same field?
    Last edited by lolobeans; 04-03-09 at 17:06.

While is is possible that this person is a legitimate student, the chances are so small that I wouldn't give them a thought. I'd recommend that you treat this as though your responses were going directly to an unethical recruiter because I'm almost certain that is where those responses will go.

-PatP

Whille I do understand your concern, I assure you that I AM a student at SJSU, not a recruiter or some spammer trying to get your information. I am just having some trouble finding IT professionals regarding this position because I do not currently work in the field, and I see a lot of activity in this forum so I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I am not asking for personally identifiable information and do not need it, I am simply completing an assignment for my intro course to research an occupation that I am interested in and need information about how to get into the profession, job functions, qualifications, etc, and I am required by my professor to contact working professionals.

Here is my course description if you are interested: http://slisapps.sjsu.edu/gss/ajax/showSheet.php?id=282

Currently working on the Job Hunt Case Study. You may call my professor if you wish and he will confirm this!

Thank you for any help...

Lauren

I'm still researching this, but for the moment I'm willing to give Lauren the benefit of the doubt and will assume that this is what she claims that it is until I can get confirmation. Since I assume that it will be Monday before I know, I've changed the thread title back and will either post here if I can confirm that this is legitimate research or will remove the thread it if is not.

-PatP

I did get an email that appears to be from the associated instructor that confirms that this is legitimate research. Based on that email, it is probably safe to respond to this request as a legitimate research request.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by lolobeans

something to do with karma and past life sins.

Quote Originally Posted by lolobeans
    Is this a gymnastics question??