Help with booking system

Hi, I'm creating a booking system for a ski resort and I am struggling with the normalization. Any help would be really appreciated.

Here's what I have so far:

Table Customer
    Customer ID
    Booking ID
    Name
    Address
    Phone
    Email

Table Booking
    Customer ID
    Booking ID
    Hotel ID
    Arrive
    Depart
    No of Adults
    No of Children
    No of Infants
    Services ID
    Total Cost

Table Hotels
    HotelID
    Hotel Name
    No. of Stars
    Address
    Phone

Table HotelRooms
    Room ID
    Hotel ID
    Room Type

Table Extras

Services ID
    Booking ID
    Ski Pass
    Ski Equipment
    Lessons
    Creche
    Total Cost

This is my first attempt at designing a database so I know I am probably way off. My main concern is the Extras table. Do I need this table or could I include this data in another table? Also, should I include the room cost in the Hotel Rooms table or the booking table? The user needs to be able to search for available rooms; what data do I need to include for this?

I'm sure I have made many more errors so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Let's start here:

Table Customer
    Customer ID
    Booking ID

So, a Customer has one and only one Booking ID? What happens when they come back next year, do you create a new Customer record, or re-use the same Booking ID they had last year? Probably neither...

You need to identify the key in each of your relations. If you decide that Customer ID is the key for Customer (which seems reasonable) then your normalisation is saying that Customer ID -> Booking ID, i.e. for each Customer ID there is exactly one Booking ID.

Thanks for the reply.

I want the customer to be able to make multiple bookings. What do I have to do to allow this?

I would also like the user to be able to search for available rooms. What do I have include to allow this?

Thanks for any help.

Your Booking table allows for this. Just remove the redundant BookingId from the Customer table.

A search for avalaible rooms would be to select Rooms for which no Booking exists that overlaps the required range of dates.

Oh I see. For the rooms I was going to add a field called Occupied or Booked Until; is this unnecessary?

One more question: There are three different levels of ski passes - beginner, intermediate and advanced - and there can be more than one pass per booking. What would be the most efficient way of doing this? Would I create a separate table for Ski Passes or is there a way I can include this in the Extras table?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but this is the final one. Thanks for the help.

At the moment your Booking table books the hotel as a whole. You need a table that records a room booking, either as well or instead. A "Booked Until" attribute won't work: imagine I book a room now for 1-7 March 2010. You can't say the room is "booked until" 7th March 2010!

So instead of the Hotel ID would I put in Room ID in the booking form? What about a field to say Occupied - Yes or No. Is it even needed or can I search for available rooms without that.

What is the best way to allow a customer to book multiple ski passes and specify which levels they are?