Unanswered: Booklet pagination in ms access

I have created a report (a church directory) in ms access 2003 and, while printing pages in sequential order is no problem, I would like to paginate them into booklet form, 2 up, page 1 and 24, page 2 and 23, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,

Ron
    Last edited by ronaldmci; 04-09-09 at 13:35.

Provided Answers: 14
    Access is not the best tool to do this kind of thing (Publisher for instance would be better).

If I had to do that, I'd add a column to the table containing the data (it would probably be a computed value) indicating on which page this piece of data has to be printed. There probably are many other solutions but that's the first I can think of right now.

Have a nice day!

Here is a little database I put together to show how you would accomplish what you are trying to do. It is a little convoluted. There are a couple fo things you need to do:

1. Assign each name to a page. So if your list is alphabetic and 30 names fit on a page then the first thirty names need to have PageNumber set to 1.

2. Of course you need to add a PageNumber field to your names table and assign them.

3. Add a table that tells Access the order of the pages in the booklet. In my example it is in tblPage.

4. Add a report (main report, rptBooklet), make the Detail section as large as a printable sheet of paper. Mine is designed for a 8.5x11 sheet of paper with .25 margins.

5. Add a subreport that formats your names and information. Make sure you have the PageNumber field as part of your data. When you add the subreport to the rptBooklet a link will be created based on the PageNumber. This is critcal part. The link determines which names appear on what page of the booklet. Also, don't be tempted to call the field Page instead of PageNumber, it won't work in the report properly because Access has a built in Page variable it uses for Page numbering.

6. The last thing is the two-up part. The printer I have here will do a two-up form. Go into Page Setup for the rptBooklet and choose a specific printer to use, then Click on the Properties button. My printer has a Number of Pages per Page combo box. But this is printer/driver specific. If you don't have that ability then you might be able to do something similar with columns. Let me know and I can try some things.

Good Luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Booklet

DCK:

Thanks for your response. I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

Ron Mc