Question Unanswered: Recommended Disk Architecture (RAID, etc) for SQL Server?

I'm looking for some advice/help/recommendations for hard disk architecture on a dedicated SQL Server box that will give good performance and reliability.

My first thought is just to do a RAID 1 with 2 physical disks and put the OS (Windows Server 2008) and SQL Server 2008 all on the single logical drive.

Would it be better to separate some of the SQL files/databases/logs onto a separate physical drive? I was thinking of maybe creating 2 separate RAID1 arrays (4 physical disks, 2 logical drive letters) and putting the OS and SQL Server on C:\ and then maybe put the SQL Transaction Logs on D:\ ??

I've also heard people recommend RAID10, but I think that might be out of my budget.

The key thing I'd like to avoid is the whole SQL Server going down from a single drive failure (hence the RAID1). But also maybe get some performance benefits out of separating some SQL files onto separate physical disks.

Anyone have some cost-effective but performant solutions they recommend?

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    In theory, you can make significant differences in SQL Server performance by using different types of RAID for different types of storage. I haven't built a production SQL Server using local disk in ages... I use SAN for nearly every system that I deploy.

Based on what I've seen on development systems, the RAID factor doesn't seem to matter much in comparison to other design decisions. If I build a good quality box, load it to the absolute gills with RAM, and make tolerably decent disk I/O decisions then the RAID factor has never been a big performance factor.

Your milage may vary, but I don't see this as hugely important compared to other performance issues. Use RAID, but don't sweat a lot over it unless you can measure disk bottlenecks on your system.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

When and where I am able (which is not always due to financial constraints), I use:

C:\ OS
    E:\ SQL Binaries
    R:\ TempDB (1 file per processor, equi-sized)
    S:\ Data
    T:\ Log

Again, when and where I am able:
    C:\ RAID-1
    E:\ RAID-5
    R:\ RAID-1 or RAID-10
    S:\ RAID-5
    T:\ RAID-1 or RAID-10

Of late, I have mostly been falling in the "not able" category due to funding (and an inability on my part to persuade the powers that be that this is a "priority").

I agree to an extent with Pat...there are other things to focus on besides just drive geometry. Like Pat, I have been mostly dealing with SANs the last few years (which has its pluses and minuses). The biggest minus in my SAN world today is that (because its managed by a separate team and falls under a completely different management structure), we can't "see" what LUNs are shared on which arrays.

It appears that you have 4(?) physical drives. With that kind of geometry, I would probably do 2 RAID-1s with the OS and log files on 1 and the data files on the other. If it's at all possible, I think you would do well to get an additional could of drives.

What type of drives are they (SAS, SCIS, IDE)?

Have you hugged your backup today?

London, UK
    Storage Top 10 Best Practices
    Physical Database Storage Design

See also any specific recommendations from your storage vendor.