Lightbulb Unanswered: Unable to connect to Server after SP4 installation (SQL 2000)

Hi,

Yesterday, I installed SP4 for SQL Server 2000 and rebooted server. When I'm trying to connect remotely, getting message as server doesn't exist. But I'm able to connect to SQL Server from my laptop and also can ping.

Could anyone please help me? This is my first time experience with installation. Please help

Is there any problem with SP4?

Thanks
    Last edited by mvmanohar; 04-14-09 at 16:27.

I avoided SP4 altogether due to a drastic slowdown in many processes, especially with large tables (what took 1 minute took 2 hrs after SP4 upgrade) due to I/O waits (which appear as self blocking) via sp_who2.

Provided Answers: 11
    Standard questions:

Were you able to connect "remotely" before?
    By "Remotely", do you mean from beyond a firewall? Or just from a different server on the same subnet?
    Have you tried to specify the network protocol to be used from the client machine?
    Are you timing out, or are you getting "Server does not exist" errors?

SP4 is having slow performance issues?? Anyone suggests me not to go for SP4?? Please suggest.

--------

Before installing SP4, I used to connect to the server remotely using RDP (mstsc). Now though I'm able to connect to the database, I'm not able to connect to the server to install hotfix.

Server and myself are in the same domain. I'm not getting any 'timeout errors' or 'server doesn't exist'. I can connect to the other servers from my machine which all are in the same domain.

Exact error message is "This computer can't connect to the remote computer".

I googled and googled, but no where discussed about this problem.

So the problem is with RDP, rather than SQL Server?

You can try rebooting the server, and trying RDP again.

Our operations team who handle server related problems, did restarted couple of times but in vain. Now, they are coming back to me and asking what I have done to the server. I told them that I just installed SP4 and did nothing else.

I'm afraid if someone concludes that due to SP4, RDP got affected then my management will certainly ask me "You are DBA, don't you know that SP4 creates this problem?".

I'm not getting what all options that I have at this time.

Personally, I have not seen any correlation between SQL Server 2000 SP4 and RDP. I have 10 or 12 such servers, and I can log into all of them with terminal services.