Unanswered: exp and expdp command

Dear All,

I recently started exploring the oracle 10g database. While working on server machine I want export my database to a dump file. Now I have two options as exp and expdp command.
    Can anybody please tell me which command is more beneficial one to use and why? Does it having any beneficial criterion as such or any condition where I should use any one particular command.
    One difference that I know is exp is client side command (Can be use on server side also) while expdp is server side command.

Best Regards

Milind

Provided Answers: 4
    This is Oracle 10g Utilities book; data pump, as well as original export (and import) utilities are also described in there.

You don't have to get into details, but I suppose that you'll find the answer by reading New Features and introducing chapters of utilities you are interested in.

Export Datapump is the newer version of Export, so I'd go with it, if I were you. I don't think, though, that Export is going anywhere, as people with older versions of Oracle still need to send data to newer versions, and Export serves as a bridge.

Thumbs up

thanks all for all your guidance

Best Regards
    Milind

if you work 10g you should use expdp because it is faster than old exp and also provide more options which are not available in exp, but the problem is expdb is not work with oracle earlier versions less that 10g.

yes you are write, expdp is server side process

Here you can find all about data pump

ORACLE: DBA's day out: ORACLE DATA PUMP Part #1

or you can explore data pump and export comparison doc of oracle
    Mohammad Hasan Shaharear
    Blog: http://shaharear.blogspot.com