Unanswered: SQL server failover

Hi guys,

I have an issue here which you can probably assist me with.
    Here's the scenario, I support an application that is written in vb and connects to
    sql server database. It usually reads from a config file the server name and/or the ip address
    of the server where the db is hosted. Based on this the only sql server 2005 failover option that
    I have used is sql server clustering and it works perfectly since I have the virtual server IP address/name to specify at the config file coupled with the many other advantages of clustering.
    However not everyone can afford to buy storage facilities. So i'd like some advice on the other
    failover options as im not well conversant with mirroring and logshipping.
    Specifically i'd want to know with mirroring and logshippin how redirection takes place from the primary server to the secondary server and in my case how does it happen without having to change the servername specified in the config file of each client connecting to the server.

Quote Originally Posted by d@nnyboy
    Specifically i'd want to know with mirroring and logshippin how redirection takes place from the primary server to the secondary server and in my case how does it happen without having to change the servername specified in the config file of each client connecting to the server.
    I'm afraid I am not 100% on this, but the main DR guys on this forum are in the states so you probably won't get much more for a while, but I believe the answer is "it doesn't". Your app has to handle the redirection.

Clustering is a windows technology that SQL Server "piggy backs". Mirroring and log shipping are pure SQL Server. Log shipping is nothing much more than simply automating regular restores on the standby server. It doesn't even include automatic failover (IIRC). Mirroring is more sophisticated and does include options for automatic failover (as well as options to optimise latency etc).

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for the info pootle flump, I guess we'll just have to re-write the app to handle the redirection.

Provided Answers: 11
    If you are using the SQL Native Client driver, you can use Database Mirroring. The Native Client can take an extra parameter for the mirror database server. In essence, if the application fails to get to the primary server, it will try the backup server automatically. In a disaster situation, you will, of course, have to have copies of the application in several places, and have a good network connection between them all (at least good enough to handle the traffic between the database, and any application servers).