Thread: impdp Command

Exclamation Unanswered: impdp Command

Dear All,

I caught in a tricky situation while importing the oracle9i database into my oracle10g database into my test environment.
    I received oracle export in around 9 dump files. But I dont know the username(Schema) and tablespaces available in that dump file.
    I create my empty database and just import the dump file using impdp command as
    impdp system/system dumpfile = 1.dmp, 2.dmp, 3.dmp, 4.dmp directory = dir_db logifle=dblog.log
    it import the database with some errors related to sysman tables saying the object is already exist. I think we can overlook that messages.
    but can you please tell me if i should ask the schema name and tablespace name before importing the dump file so that I can create them or at lease I can use remap_schema option or will the utility will create everything that is present in the dump file as own...

Please guide me..Customer is sitting on my head :-)

Best Regards
    Milind

Provided Answers: 12
    Are you sure you can use impdb with an Oracle 9i dump?
    I thought the datapump was only introduced in Oracle 10, so the 9i dump must have been made with exp (without dp)

imp (the one without dp) has an option to list the contents of a dump file. I think that
    Code:
    imp system/system show=y 1.dmp
    will show you the contents and the username that is stored in the dump file.

impdp command

One of the things impdp will do is run the command to create the user and grant permissions. In my case, it displays an ignorable error because I already created the user.

Hello All,

Thanks a lot to all for your responses.
    About oracle9i dump, I am not sure how customer has exported their database but surely I am importing it into my oracle10g database only.
    One of the method that I follow is
    1. I create one sql file as
    impdp system/system directory=db_dir dumpfile=1.dmp, 2.dmp, 3.dmp sqlfile=mydb.sql logfile=mylog.log
    2. Then i change the database name (Which is from customer's database) with my database name in the sql file and also some database paths.
    3.I run the sql file from sql prompt as
    SQL> @mydb.sql.
    It finished with some errors related to the sys, system, sysman's tables and views which i feel is normal because they are already there in my database.
    Could you please tell me, if I follow the correct procedure

Best Regards
    Milind

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by milindkk82
    1. I create one sql file as
    impdp system/system directory=db_dir dumpfile=1.dmp, 2.dmp, 3.dmp sqlfile=mydb.sql logfile=mylog.log
    2. Then i change the database name (Which is from customer's database) with my database name in the sql file and also some database paths.
    3.I run the sql file from sql prompt as
    SQL> @mydb.sql.
    It finished with some errors related to the sys, system, sysman's tables and views which i feel is normal because they are already there in my database.
    Could you please tell me, if I follow the correct procedure
    Obviously this is a full dump of the customer's database but you want to restore a user dump.

Why not simply run imp (without dp) using the parameters "fromuser" and "touser" (maybe impdp supports those parameters as well, I don't know)

I think the following is what you are looking for
    Code:
    imp system/system fromuser=customer_user_name touser=your_user_name 1.dmp