Unanswered: DB install using Fixpak

Hi,
    How can I install DB2 using a fixpack file ? I have downloaded the v9fp6a_aix_universal_fixpack.tar (same as the production ). The only file available for install after extracting is - 'installFixPack'.

I do not have any DB2 products installed on this box. Do we need to install db2 and then apply the fixpack. IBM download site states that "The fix pack images below are full versions of the product"

Production level:

DB21085I Instance "db2dwh" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09016" with
    level identifier "01070107".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.1.0.6", "s081211", "U823469", and Fix Pack
    "6a".
    Product is installed at "/usr/opt/dwe/db2/V9.1".

Please advise.

Provided Answers: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by samu78nyc
    Hi,
    How can I install DB2 using a fixpack file ? I have downloaded the v9fp6a_aix_universal_fixpack.tar (same as the production ). The only file available for install after extracting is - 'installFixPack'.

I do not have any DB2 products installed on this box. Do we need to install db2 and then apply the fixpack. IBM download site states that "The fix pack images below are full versions of the product"
    I believe that it correct only for the Enterprise Server Edition or the Workgroup Server Edition. The other editions need a base install.

Quote Originally Posted by samu78nyc

Production level:

DB21085I Instance "db2dwh" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09016" with
    level identifier "01070107".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.1.0.6", "s081211", "U823469", and Fix Pack
    "6a".
    Product is installed at "/usr/opt/dwe/db2/V9.1".

Please advise.
    If you have no DB2 products installed, how did you run db2level?

Andy

Andy,
    The db2level is from the production. I am trying to install the same on the test environment. Below is the license info.
    $ db2licm -l
    Product name: "DB2 Enterprise Server Edition"
    License type: "CPU"
    Expiry date: "Permanent"
    Product identifier: "db2ese"
    Version information: "9.1"
    Annotation: "-3;(_c)"
    Features:
    DB2 Database Partitioning: "Licensed"
    DB2 Performance Optimization ESE: "Licensed"
    DB2 Storage Optimization: "Licensed"
    DB2 Advanced Access Control: "Not licensed"
    DB2 Geodetic Data Management: "Not licensed"
    IBM Homogeneous Federation ESE: "Not licensed"
    DB2 pureXML ESE: "Not licensed"

I am planning to have the same db2 product with the similar version on the Test environment.

Provided Answers: 5
    Then download the fixpack for the Enterprise Server edition.

Andy

Provided Answers: 11
    fixpack can be used to install the product - it is a full product
    the only that is missing is the license - that has to be installed after the fixpack
    db2start will fail - no license message
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

I believe you need a new license file specifically for 9.5. If you are licensed for 9.1 then you should be entitled to a free 9.5 license, but you will have to get it from Passport Advantage or get it from the DB2 9.5 media disks that you order from IBM.

As has already been stated, you only need install the latest fixpack download. Make sure you install it /opt/ibm/db2/V9R5 or some other directory that is different from any other DB2 install directory. It used to be that AIX used /usr and every other OS used /opt by default, but that may have changed in 9.5.

Also FP7 is now available, so I suggest you get that one.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

All,
    Thanks for the all the information.
    Andy,
    Yes.The universal fixpak did not have the db2_install in it. I downloaded the V9 FP 6a for Enterprise server ( v9fp6a_aix_ese.tar ) and it has all the db2 install options along with installfixpack .I will be downloading the license file from passport advantage once I install the DB2 9.
    Marcus,
    As our Prod systems are on 9.1 FP 6a, I am installing the same on this system.