Thread: DB2 migration

Unanswered: DB2 migration

Hi,
    we are planing to move DB2(v5R2) from AS400 to new Windows server with DB2 v9.5. According
    to this link, DB2 versions are compatible and we can migrate database, is it possible to connect from COBOL application on AS400(boughten in 2004) to Windows DB2 v9.5 without any problems(i.e. data types incompatible,... )?
    Are there potential problems of migration and connection to new database?

Thanks in advance

from AS400 to Windows !? from bad to worse? eh?

you right

AS400 is very stable&reliable, but... right now, it suffers from high cpu utilization (Cobol applications + DB2 queries). Next step(workaround) is to separate DB from application logic. Do you know better solution?
    It's also possible to buy new iSeries server, but server is too expensive.

Separating db from application is the worst thing that you can do for performance - this is why the initial "client/server" implementations failed so miserably. Network (the slowest component of any configuration) inserted between app and db (the most active interface for most systems) is a sure recipe for disaster. If you are going to introduce a new platform into the mix, get AIX (assuming that z/OS is outside of your price range
    If you do insist on moving the app away from db - start reading up on stored procedures, because that is probably the only way that idea can work well.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2dummy1
    Separating db from application is the worst thing that you can do for performance
    Wrong.

Network (the slowest component of any configuration)
    Wrong.

is a sure recipe for disaster.
    Wrong.

If you are going to introduce a new platform into the mix, get AIX
    Wrong.

start reading up on stored procedures, because that is probably the only way that idea can work well.
    Wrong.

All in all, it doesn't look like you have a lot of experience implementing multi-tier applications.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Correct - I grow kartoshka in my garden and sell at the bazar to make a living. I only come here to annoy you and Marcus sometimes

Well,I just need answer, is it possible to convert DB2 database V5 (AS400) to DB2 database v9.5 (Windows, Linux,...)

Ps. Network is 1 Gb, how can that be slow?

Yes - it is possible. If nothing else, you will have to define all objects on your target system and export/import data.

Compared to the speed of other resources in your system (cpu, disk, memory, etc), 1 Gb network is ridiculously slow and is guaranteed to become the bottleneck if you split up your application as discussed above.

OK, thank you.

If you monitor full server environment you will see where is bottleneck.
    In my experience, network utilization is never more than 20-30% for about 200 user sessions and database approx. 20 GB large.

Of course, this is not general rule because it depends from application architecture.