What database system to use?

Hello there,

Me and two other guys are doing a high school project that we have time for till december. We want to make a database of soccer penalties. We want to be make this database useful to players, coaches and goalies alike. At the moment we want these points incorporated:

Name Player
    Left/Right leg
    Position
    Name goalkeeper

Is it a penalty shootout
    Number in shootout
    How much time does the goalkeeper take to get to his line?
    How much time does the player take?
    Is the keeper moving before the shot?
    Does the goalkeeper choose an angle?
    Which angle?
    Does the ball go in?
    How many paces?
    Does the player fake?
    Where in goal? (9 areas)
    What competition
    What date?
    Club 1
    Club 2

We want to make the program as usable as possibile in real life. So one idea was to make it accesible by the web. So other people can update their own penalties into the database. We also want to make it usable while not being connected to the web. (Sitting next to a soccer field.)

So the question is..
    What is the best database system to use for this?
    I was personally thinking about either MySQL or MS Acess
    I have experience with simple access databases.

This really isn't an "Other Databases" discussion, your question is really more of a design decision so I'm going to move it to the Database Concepts and Design forum. I think that you'll get more readers and more responses there from people that can actually help you make your decision.

Before I offer a suggestion, I'd like to say that you did a great job on composing a first post. You described your problem in enough detail for someone to be able to help you, and you asked for help instead of an outright solution. DBForums sees far too many students asking us to do their homework for them, so it is really nice to see that there still are some good students!

Having done a very similar project for an AYSO region a few years ago, I can tell you that in an entire season, not a single "rich client" designed to run on a laptop ever returned data to the repository. This may have been biased because I wrote the beastie and used my cell phone to enter data, or because nearly every coach had a cell phone and only a few folks ever brought a laptop to a soccer pitch. The short answer is that the only data I ever got was from either HTTP or WAP, no data ever came from the application.

That doesn't mean that the laptop "rich client" application was useless. It could download and manipulate data, and was very useful at meetings.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Left/Right leg?

You seem to be planning for an awful lot of detailed data. Who is going to be measuring and entering things such as:
    --How much time does the goalkeeper take to get to his line?
    --How much time does the player take?
    --Is the keeper moving before the shot?
    --Does the goalkeeper choose an angle?
    What is the benefit that will be received from this database?
    These are extremely important considerations on any project.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    This really isn't an "Other Databases" discussion, your question is really more of a design decision so I'm going to move it to the Database Concepts and Design forum. I think that you'll get more readers and more responses there from people that can actually help you make your decision.

Having done a very similar project for an AYSO region a few years ago, I can tell you that in an entire season, not a single "rich client" designed to run on a laptop ever returned data to the repository. This may have been biased because I wrote the beastie and used my cell phone to enter data, or because nearly every coach had a cell phone and only a few folks ever brought a laptop to a soccer pitch. The short answer is that the only data I ever got was from either HTTP or WAP, no data ever came from the application.

That doesn't mean that the laptop "rich client" application was useless. It could download and manipulate data, and was very useful at meetings.

-PatP
    We think that people will use the laptop application if we have enough input data. You are probaly right on the part of returning data though.

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Left/Right leg?

You seem to be planning for an awful lot of detailed data. Who is going to be measuring and entering things such as:
    --How much time does the goalkeeper take to get to his line?
    --How much time does the player take?
    --Is the keeper moving before the shot?
    --Does the goalkeeper choose an angle?
    What is the benefit that will be received from this database?
    These are extremely important considerations on any project.
    The time ones may be hard to do. But we want as an entered essay analyse 1000 penalties and input those into the database. Trough that we want to be able to make an analysis. For instance: (Where should a right legged player shoot if he wants the biggest chance of scoring.)