Unanswered: Migrating V7 to V8

I've been tasked with Installing a new DB2 Instance (V8.1) on a new Server and then migrating six Version 7 databases to it. Ultimately the Databases will be upgraded to V9

I've installed the new Server:
    IBM DB2 Universal Database Workgroup Server Edition
    DB2 administration tools level:
    Product identifier SQL08010
    Level identifier 01010106
    Level DB2 v8.1.0.36
    Build level s021023

and now I'm trying to patch it up to at least Fixpack 2. Can someone send me a specific link ??? Thank you

Provided Answers: 5

Thanks. I downloaded FP3_WR21324_WSE.exe which I thought was fixpack 3 for Ver 8 and I got this error trying to install?

a DB2 Product at version 8, release 1 Mod 0, Service Level 0 is already installed.

Did I download the wrong thing????? This is my first time doing this and any help would be appreciated

Read the README (found at the same site). It will tell you what you have to do to install the fixpack.

Andy

I am not understanding this at all. I finally found the readme on the download site. It did say to stop all Db2 Services - which I did. it looked like I met all other criteria so I launched FP3_WR21324_WSE.exe (Fixpack3 for version 8)

it displays 'extracting files for Fixpack install' and then begins extracting file.
    it then displays a WELCOME screen for IBM DB2 UDB 8.1 Server workgroup install. When I click install a Product. my only option is DB2 Workgroup Server edition. when I click next.. I get this error:
    a DB2 Product at Version 8, Release 1, Modification 0 and service Level 0 is already installed on this machine. The installation you are attempting to perform is for DB2 at Version 8, Release 1, Modifcation 3 and service level WR21324, so will not be permitted.

It's like it is trying to install DB2 Server all over again instead of just the service pack.

My current buildlevel for the workgroup server edition is :
    Product identifier SQL08010
    Level identifier 01010106
    Level DB2 v8.1.0.36
    Build level s021023

Can someone help me out here. I am just trying to get my Server patched up to a proper level so that I can migrate my Version 7 databases to it.

OK. I uninstalled my registered V8 software and installed FP3_WR21324_WSE.exe (Fixpack3 for version 8) that I downloaded from the web and it turns out that the fixpack is packaged with a trial version of the server software so that won't help me out..

I reinstalled my V8 Workgroup edition Server software. What is the best way to restore my V7 Databases to this V8 instance?

You will have to backup the V7 DB with an offline backup. Then use the restore command on the V8 instance. You may need to do a redirected restore if the paths for you tablespaces need to change. See the manual on the RESTORE command.

Thanks again !

here is my restore command:
    Code:
    RESTORE DATABASE  DBINGWP1 USER kcapdba1 USING kcapdba1 FROM "E:\BATCH_BACKUP\" TAKEN AT 20090409224503 WITH 1 BUFFERS BUFFER 1024 PARALLELISM 1 WITHOUT PROMPTING;
    although the local user kcapdba1 is part of the DBSYSADM group on the Server and the DBSYSADM Group is designated as the System Administration authority group in the configuration for the DB2 Instance.. I am getting this error:
    SQL3282N The supplied credentials are not valid.
    Explanation:
    Either or both the distinguished name (DN) of the user and the
    password that were specified were not valid.

Leave off the USER/USING clauses and restore using the V8 instance owner.

Andy

Worked like a charm. Thank you so much for your help