Unanswered: Forumula showing not results

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I have a spreadsheet downloaded from SAP that is saved as .xls. In which I have created a VLOOKUP. Instead of showing results; it is showing the formula. I have been doing this process for 2 months now and this is the first time I have had this issue. Can you please help me?
    Thanks,
    Lee

Hi,

Couple of suggestions.

1. Before you enter the formula make sure the cell is not formatted as text, otherwise you will get an apostrophe inserted in front of the formula, eg.:
    Code:
    '=VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B21,2,0)
    If there is an apostrophe you can just remove it.

2. Tools | Options | View tab
    Make sure that the Formulas checkbox is not ticked.

If you are using Excel 2007 this setting can be found under:
    Office Button | Excel Options | Advanced
    "Show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results"

Formula showing in the cell but not the result. - MrExcel Message Board

Let us know how you get on....

Thanks! I did check the options tab and it was not checked. I did not check the format of the text before I entered the formula, however there wasn't a ' before the formula. Before I got your response, I noticed that in the Formula wizard, the right value was showing up there. I did a copy and paste special (values and formats) and it gave the result. I also noticed that I could not change the date format. I copied the sheet into another workbook and I could then format the date. Again, I am not sure why this is happening now as I did the same process last week and it worked. Anyway I have a work-around for now. Just curious what has changed.
    Thanks,
    Lee

Hi Lee,

Glad you got it working. If the problem persists you could always attach a sample workbook for us to have a look at?

You were right in the beginning. I could not see the ' in front of the formula, but it must have been there. I tried (as you suggested) formating the Column to General before creating the formula and it did display the result.
    Thanks,
    Lee

Excellent news! Always nice to know there's not something more "sinister" going on.......