Provided Answers: 4

Unanswered: new password problems (Error: 10061)

Today, I could not get SQL Server Management Studio 2005 running. It is installed for test purposes on my own PC.
    Got this error message:
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10061)
    I couldn't think of any reason why it suddenly refused to start, I had not installed other software since I last used it. In Services, I saw SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) was not started. When I tried to start it manually I got an error stating a password problem. And indeed, I recently had to change my password, like we all have to do each x months.

It seems I have to tell SQL Server to use this new password. How can I do that?
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Change the password from the "Services" administration window

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Provided Answers: 4
    Right !

Thank you .
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages