Unanswered: Additional Users

Hi Everybody,

I am working in a typical Production Support Environment using Sybase database and comprises of 25 member team. But all of us use same Database user ID and password.
    I have following query.

We are thinking whether we can create each associate separate user ID so that it is easy to find the operations by whom. Heard that Sybase charges per every additional user. Is this correct? If so, I am not getting, what is the idea behind this charging? Once the whole ASE is bought, is not the DBA can decide on the number of users?

Does anybody have idea on this?

Thanks
    -Durga

Durga,
    Sybase does not charge based on the number of users in your database server. Rather the license is based on CPU.

suda

thanks suda

Sybase has a number of license options.
    1. BY core (not CPU, 1 dual core CPU is 2 cores)
    -- forget what they charge per core .. maybe 20K/core??
    -- call your Sybase rep to get the details
    2. BY CU (concurrent user == 1500/user)
    3. By network note (750/node) -- this is difficult to manage in large orgs.

If you have a virtualized environment, it's worh evaluating the cost/benefit of a CU license vs core licensing, especially for AIX / LPAR virtuialized architecture where you want to take advantage of load balanicng across LPARS and you have a lot of processors. The cost benefit point is a bit of math .. but with the price info that's easy to do.

I put together an excel license calculator which does this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by adurga
    Hi Everybody,

I am working in a typical Production Support Environment using Sybase database and comprises of 25 member team. But all of us use same Database user ID and password.
    I have following query.

We are thinking whether we can create each associate separate user ID so that it is easy to find the operations by whom. Heard that Sybase charges per every additional user. Is this correct? If so, I am not getting, what is the idea behind this charging? Once the whole ASE is bought, is not the DBA can decide on the number of users?

Does anybody have idea on this?

Thanks
    -Durga

thanks stuart

What's the best iPhone 3G S Jailbreak?

Within minutes you will be able to unlock any iPhone. We have the software to unlock it all! Our software is GUARANTEED to unlock youriPhone 3G and 2G iPhone.

If you want to jailbreak iPhone 3G S or Unlock the iPhone 3g S, with the fastest, easiest software also receive free wallpapers and games and ringtones and videos then this the place for you. Here are just a few of the benefits of joining iPhone-SIM-Unlock and unlocking your iPhone with our software: In just minutes, you will be able to use any GSM Sim card worldwide, including Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange, Tesco, O2, Rogers and many more… Unlock the secret's hidden within the iPhone 3G S: 1-Click Video Recording to snap those precious moments anywhere…

Unlock MMS messaging, so you can send video and picture messages to your friends… Unlock instant messengers including MSN, Yahoo! and AIM, so you can chat to your friends in real time… VNC Client iPhone to interact with remote computers, so you can access your home or office machines to check their status… All of this, without any loss of features or functionality! Our iPhone unlocking software solution is capable of unlocking iPhones that have been damaged by other unlocking methods, and also iPhones that have been previously unlocked but have since been relocked due to upgrading through iTunes.

NO TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED!

Upon joining iPhone-SIM-Unlock, you will be able to instantly download the files to quickly and easily unlock your iPhone 2G and 3G iPhone jailbreak youriPhone 3G, with our unique step-by-step illustrated guide to walk you through the process in under 5 minutes.

How long before I can download the software?
    You will receive instant access to the members area, where you will be able to download the Apple iPhone Unlock software. Or unlock guides for ANY gsm phone.

How many iPhones can I unlock with the software?
    As many as you like. Unlike our competitors who limit you to unlocking 1 iPhone per software purchase, with Apple Unlock iPhone you only need to buy once, and then you can unlock unlimited iPhones as you like or any gsm phone, such as the Blackberry, Sidekick, LG and much more!!!

Do I need a computer do use the software?
    Yes it will work with any PC or MAC computer

What iPhone Firmware will this work for?
    Will work on 2G 1.x,2.0,2.1,2.2,2.2.1, 3.0 newest – 3G 2.0,2.1,2.2,2.2.1, 3.0, 3GS newest.iPhone 3.0 & 3G S Unlock and iPhone 3.0 Jailbreak currently available

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for this info. Is there any way that i can check which of the licences (i.e by core, by CU or by network node) is used by my ASE?

As far as I am aware, there is configuration parameter "licence information" which gives default licence of users. By this, can i say this is CU based licence.

/opt/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat file also contains license information. But this doesn't say, which of the above licence method does my ASE use?

Is there any way that i get this info?

Quote Originally Posted by stuarta
    Sybase has a number of license options.
    1. BY core (not CPU, 1 dual core CPU is 2 cores)
    -- forget what they charge per core .. maybe 20K/core??
    -- call your Sybase rep to get the details
    2. BY CU (concurrent user == 1500/user)
    3. By network note (750/node) -- this is difficult to manage in large orgs.

If you have a virtualized environment, it's worh evaluating the cost/benefit of a CU license vs core licensing, especially for AIX / LPAR virtuialized architecture where you want to take advantage of load balanicng across LPARS and you have a lot of processors. The cost benefit point is a bit of math .. but with the price info that's easy to do.

I put together an excel license calculator which does this for you.

If you execute "select @@version" or look in the ASE errorlog, it will indicate what version the server "thinks" it is.

If it's ASE 15, you can see the current server's license info by executing sp_lminfo:
    Code:
     Parameter Name    Config Value 
     ----------------- ------------ 
     edition           SE 
     license type      SR 
     smtp host         smtp 
     email recipients  sybase 
     email severity    NONE 
     smtp port         25 
     email sender      sybase 

License Name    Version    Quantity Status       Expiry Date 
     --------------- ---------- -------- ------------ -------------------- 
     ASE_HA          null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_JAVA        null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_ASM         null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_EFTS        null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_DIRS        null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_XRAY        null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_ENCRYPTION  null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_CORE        2008.12050 1        OK           Permanent            
     ASE_PARTITIONS  null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_RLAC        null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_MESSAGING_TIBJMS null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_MESSAGING_IBMMQ null       0        not used     null                 
     ASE_MESSAGING_EASJMS null       0        not used     null                 

Property Name Property Value 
     ------------- -------------- 
     PE            SE 
     LT            SR 
     ME            4 
     MC            256 
     MS            null 
     MM            null 
     CP            null 
     AS            A
    sp_lminfo will NOT indicate how many users are licensed, and what model they are licensed under. The above output is from a Small Business Edition ( edition = SE) and is a Server license (license type = SR).

In your case, I see SYSAM-1_0, so I assume it's ASE 12.0 or ASE 12.5.x. Here licenses are NOT enforced by the License Manager if they are absent, and depends on the option that was chosen during the install : Enterprise Edition, Developer Edition or Small Business Edition.

Enterprise Edition will allow large number of connections & more than 4 CPUs.
    Small Business Edition will allow up to 4 CPUs and a maximum of 256 connections.
    Developer Edition will allow one CPU only.
    The free ASE version on Linux has a data storage limit of 5 Gb in total for all databases.

I'm not sure what the current Licencing Policy is for Sybase on CPUs/Cores vs. Sockets/Dies, but it would be best to check up with your own internal sources or verify with your local Sybase representative what you are actually entitled to in terms of Servers and users. All vendors seem to charge a percentage-based cost per CPU or Core here, based on the numer of CPUs per Die or Socket, and the goalposts here tends to shift quite quickly as more CPUs per socket becomes available.

Contrary to popular belief, users ( or nodes/devices ) ARE supposed to be licensed seperate from the servers. The ASE servers will not limit you on connections or users based on the license, but rather on the configuation parameter values you have set for these. Developer Edition and Small Business Edition however, has an internal limit on these parameters, which will not allow the configuration values to exceed 25 or 256 respectively if I remember correctly.

Bear in mind that a user login from two seperate machines, irrespective of whether it's using the same login name, still constitutes 2 users.
    Similarly, 40 connections by the same user from the same machine is also seen as a single license.
    The above is not true in the case of an application server or device that "multiplexes" various end users by logging each one onto the DB server with a single login/user name. Here each end user still requires a valid license for you to comply.