Provided Answers: 2

Question Unanswered: Access 2000/2003 compatibility

Hi all

Still getting frustrated with this project.

I'm developing in 2000, but the end users have 2003 installed on their PCs. When we tried running the import process, it locked up the user's PC before we eventually used the task manager to kill the process. Now, all my testing had been done using the .mdb file and the .csv files to be imported from folders on my C: drive. My test user, on the other hand, requested that the .mdb file be installed on one network drive, while the import file came from a different one.

Thinking that this might be to do with the problem, I tried a test import of the same import file to my local copy, but with the import file saved to a network drive at another site. This import worked pretty much as fast as any that I had done previously.

Are there any known issues with using a file written in 2000 on a PC running 2003?

Provided Answers: 59
    If I remember correctly there isn't a huge differnece between 2000 and 2003/XP, or at least not as significant as 98 -> 2000 or 2003 -> 2007

I do think you \are making life a little difficult for yourself by developing in 2000 if your user base is usign 2003, although Im pretty certian A2003/XP has a settign in its tools that allows you to set the default version to 2000 format.

Before chasing verison differences I'd wantt o test using remote MDB's and remote CSV's just to see if its a network induced problem
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    I've done this extensively and never had the first problem. You do have to convert v2000 files to v2003 before making an MDE or ADE file, but that's the only problem I've ever had.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 2
    Right, it looks like it's a network issue. I've copied the .mdb file to one network drive, and set it going to import a file from another network drive.

It's been running for 40 minutes now, and still going.

This is clearly not going to be acceptable, so I'll try splitting the database into a front- and back-end, and give the users their own copies of the front ends to save locally.