Unanswered: Combobox Does Not Expand on Drop

I have an Access DB with a many to many relationship which I have separated with a join table. I have also created a query to the join table and built a basic form to allow me to add multiple authors to multiple books.

When I open my form, and try to select the drop down box that provides the author first and last names associated with the autonumber, it will only display the fields visible for the width of the drop down column. The dopped box will not show the three feilds its contain. If I widen the column, the other feilds show up.

Why is this working this way?

For reference, I am using Access 2003 via parallels on a mac

You can set the column widths to be something like

0.5";0.5";0.5"

And that will limit the width of each column to whatever you specify. Is this what you're talking about?
    Me.Geek = True

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr
    You can set the column widths to be something like

0.5";0.5";0.5"

And that will limit the width of each column to whatever you specify. Is this what you're talking about?
    Nick,

I tried setting the width but it did not do the trick. I am actually trying to recreate an example I found online before working it into a DB we use to track companies. The link to the site is (Accommodating a many-to-many relationship in Access) In figure H, you see that the drop down in the sub form has all three columns visible. On my DB, the displayed columns are bound by the width of the AuthorIDFK column, and you need to use the horizontal scroll to move right to see the value in the other columns. Or you can make the AuthoIDFK column ridiculously wide, and it will display the results. Both options are not satisfactory, and I would like to have my drop down in my subform look like that of figure H.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me, and thank you for taking to the time to help me out.

Dave.

Oh, I see what you want now. Check out the ListWidth property of your combo box, set it to however wide you want.
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 14
    There is a difference between the Width property of a combo (ie. the width it has when it is "closed") and the ListWidth property. That one set the width of the list when you drop down the combo. Both can be totally different.

Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr
    Oh, I see what you want now. Check out the ListWidth property of your combo box, set it to however wide you want.
    Nick, thanks. That solved my problem. It was set to Auto, and I set it to 5" and it worked well. Is there a way to have it expand just the width you require?

Thanks,
    David

You have to define "have it expand just the width you require" better, I think. You can always set the property via VBA to whatever you want, but that depends on what you want
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 19
    Here's a tutorial on setting the ListWidth dynamically:

How to Dynamically set the Combo Drop Down List Width - bytes
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007