Forum Database table structure (layout) suggestions

Hey

I have recently started designing forum system based on ASP.NET MVC framework and MySQL db.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions in regards to table structure/layout, views or stored procedures or could point me in right direction.

I have examined phpbb, vbulletin, ipb table structure and got some insight on the topic. Are there any non-standard features that I should consider implementing in the forum which would need different table structure?

Any ideas? Share with me please.

Regards

Really you need to settle on your requirements and design your database accordingly. We can't tell you what features your forum might have.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by lpaluszk
    I have examined phpbb, vbulletin, ipb table structure and got some insight on the topic.
    Why not just use one of these systems rather than reinvent the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite
    Why not just use one of these systems rather than reinvent the wheel?
    Because one of them is vBulletin I agree with the principle though.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't call it reinventing the wheel as there is no forum software based on ASP.NET MVC and MySQL while such hosting packages seems to be popular (ASP.NET 3.5 SP1 needed)

Quote Originally Posted by lpaluszk
    I wouldn't call it reinventing the wheel as there is no forum software based on ASP.NET MVC and MySQL while such hosting packages seems to be popular (ASP.NET 3.5 SP1 needed)
    Just curious - why does it matter what the forum software is built in. looking at the url at the top of my browser it appears Vbulletin uses php and MySQL but I guess it wouldn't matter much to me if it used Lisp and raw text files as long as the features remained the same. Is there extra functionality afforded by using ASP.NET MVC.

This is just the ASP\ ASP.NET forum software available. The LAMP list is much bigger.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._software_(ASP)
    Do you really want to do this? The only thing really limited in the MS camp is Open Source stuff. I know because I evaluated about half a dozen forum installations (and even more Wikis) last year.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite
    Just curious - why does it matter what the forum software is built in. looking at the url at the top of my browser it appears Vbulletin uses php and MySQL but I guess it wouldn't matter much to me if it used Lisp and raw text files as long as the features remained the same. Is there extra functionality afforded by using ASP.NET MVC.
    Well, I think it doesn't matter to end-user but if you're limited to windows hosting for whatever reason your choice of free forum software drops to YetAnotherForum or DotNetNuke. While they're both reasonable solution, first one uses ASP.NET (messy mixed code/HTML, hardly scalable) second is written in VB which effectively stops me from making any modifications (C#). Besides, I have nothing better to write at the moment and I really feel like writing something.

I believe there is a Snitz.NET ongoing project. It *looks* like it is ongoing still anyway...
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

If you are doing an OpenSource MS forum then you will hit a niche. I believe that MS are trying to encourage open source stuff using their platforms - you might want to google that, see if you can get into a community or get some help.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I think there's enough space for new open source MS MVC project as well.
    Microsoft created CodePlex - Open Source Project Hosting to support open source community.

Anyhoo, back to the question - the database design is driven by requirements & specification, not the other way round. There are an infinite number of requirements that would require a schema change, we just don't know what they are.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump