Question Unanswered: SQLLDR Control File - how to handle invalid time-stamp i.e. 200904279999

I have some large text files to load into Oracle 9. I've been using SQLLDR successfully except for a few hundred fields out of millions have an invalid time portion of the date time stamp.

For example the format is a YYYYMMDDHH24MI, but for some records where the time is invalid, it has been replaced with 9999 leaving 200904279999. The loader fails because the hour/minutes are invalid.

"Record 71484: Rejected - Error on table TBL1, column STARTDATE.
    ORA-01850: hour must be between 0 and 23"

Is there a way to prevent the 9999 portion from being used ... is there a way to null it out? I still want to keep the date portion.

I am currently using this:
    STARTDATE POSITION(61:72) DATE 'YYYYMMDDHH24MI' NULLIF STARTDATE = BLANKS,

TIA

ps. I would do a find/replace in the text file but there are other field where "9999" is valid.

Lightbulb

I managed to use EditPadLite (opens large text files instantly) to open the 500MB text file and do a search and replace of the "9999" that were related to the hour/min because they were always followed by a certain string.

I am still curious if there is a more elegant solution.

Provided Answers: 12
    You could set the ERRORS parameter very high to have SQL*Loader continue on errors and write the wrong records into a separate file.

For details see the manual:

ERRORS parameter:
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/ldr_params.htm#sthref573

BAD parameter:
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/ldr_params.htm#sthref543

Yes, that works too ... I set ERRORS=1000 and then viewed the BAD file, cleaned it up and uploaded it.

Thanks

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I am still curious if there is a more elegant solution.
    Modify the software which creates the file so that rather than "9999" it produces "0000".
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

>Modify the software which creates the file so that rather than "9999" it produces "0000".
    If only I had access ...