Exclamation Unanswered: Automatically Populate Field - Please Help!!!

I am hoping someone can help and I apologise if it is a stupid question.

I am creating a database that has a number of tables, there is a table with tender inforamtion that automatically generates a tender number, there is then a table linked (One to many) that contains participant information. Each participant is linked to a tender number.

When the administrators are entering participant info on the form I want them to select the tender number from a dropdown menu and for certian other fireld to be autopopulated from the tenders table such as organisation name. I currently have the tender number as a dropdown on the participant form but the org name is also a dropdown, this is what I want autopopulate depending on the selction from the tender no dropdown.

Many thanks for any advice :-)

Hi

This is almost certainly a design flaw. Relational Database Design has a number of guiding principles that will help you come to design your database correctly.

Do you know what is meant by the term "normalisation"?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Not really sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Sashacarna
    Not really sorry
    That's ok

Relational databases store data in structures that derive from something called Relational Theory. This is based in maths and calculus and all sort s of stuff we don't need to cover here.
    However, there are certain principles that are there to guide us to create the best structure we can. One of these is Normalisation. Very broadly speaking (and not actually strictly accurately) one of the purposes of Normalisation is too prevent duplication of data in your database. "One fact in one place". This is a consequence of Normalisation's sole purpose - to prevent update anomalies (which is when your data is inconsistent).

Here are a couple of links. You don't need to read both, but please do read one.
    The Relational Data Model, Normalisation and effective Database Design
    Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.