Thread: Temp Tables

Unanswered: Temp Tables

Hi I have a question and it might be a silly one but what is the purpose of Temp Tables.

Provided Answers: 54
    Nah, that's not a silly question. Let me work on it just a bit, I'm sure that I can make it silly though!

A temp table is just what the name implies, a table that is created "on the fly" for temporary use. If created in a stored procedure, the table is dropped when the procedure exits. If created interactively, the table is dropped when the session (spid) ends. Temp tables are always created in tempdb, and the names are always mangled just a bit so that everyone on the server can create a temp table called #ickyTableNameWithLotsAndLotsOfCharacters and the system can still keep them all straight.

How'd I do?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    How'd I do?
    Very informative but not nearly silly enough q
    George
    Home | Blog

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Nah, that's not a silly question. Let me work on it just a bit, I'm sure that I can make it silly though!

A temp table is just what the name implies, a table that is created "on the fly" for temporary use. If created in a stored procedure, the table is dropped when the procedure exits. If created interactively, the table is dropped when the session (spid) ends. Temp tables are always created in tempdb, and the names are always mangled just a bit so that everyone on the server can create a temp table called #ickyTableNameWithLotsAndLotsOfCharacters and the system can still keep them all straight.

How'd I do?

-PatP
    Thank you Pat I appreciate it

Very creative :P

Also to expand a bit, you can create a local temp table by denoting #icky :P or you can create a global temp table by denoting ##icky...

A global temp table can be used from within any session for a particular database.

Provided Answers: 2
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania