Thread: need help

Red face need help

hii guys.
    i need some help regarding which way to go.
    I am 2nd yearite in NITK computer engineering branch....nd my field of interest is database.
    recently , a workshop on DB2 FUNDAMENTALS was held in our college nd i attended it.....nd passed the exam i.e i got certified by the IBM ppl.
    wat i wanna ask is that
    which database should i start working with....ORACLE or DB2 or ny othr.
    i am familiar with the SQL nd i hv worked on it also.
    please helpme out.
    plzzz

Oracle.

By far the most installations.

Is that a good enough reason though?

MySQL is way on the rise at the moment (Facebook, anyone?).

Microsoft SQL Server is always going to be big in business because it is an MS product.
    George
    Home | Blog

Also, Oracle has the largest knowledge base (and you dont necessarily have to be an OCP to get the kbnowledge).

Oracle has current versions in both Wintel and Linux platforms.

The original poster is a student in an Indian college (by the post). In India, it is certainly Oracle (as compared to DB2 and SQL) that will help him get a job.

End

As a first job out of the blocks I don't think it matters what SQL engie you use providing you stick to one of the major palyers (and I'd include MySQL as a major player at present)
    I do think the choice of first employer is important, getting a gig with a serious well respected company is a huge bonus on a new CV.
    If you have IBM experience then I can't see that as being a problem

Ive only ever come accross Oracle at one or two removes so can't comment on Oracle. but I really don't believe any serious employer is going to be too fussed with Oracle, DB2/Informix, SQL Server or MySQL. I'd be a little more circumspect with Adabas or Postgres, I'd be very circumspect with the non server db's such as JET/Access, Filemaker or Open Office
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Wink

thanks guys.
    bt theres still a doubt...shud i still go 4 anothr certification by the IBM ppl...or the ORACLE certifications.
    r these certifications really goin 2 help me out in future. ....or i do self study nd dont go any certifications nd all.

Certifications will certainly help in landing a job since without it the employing company will have to spend time, effort and money to train you in the basics of the chosen DBMS.

End

thanks Anatha P.
    thanks 4 all ur support.

nd thanks othr guys too.
    u guys rock.