Thread: Database needed

Database needed

Hi All!
    This is my first post, [/flame off] so please don't beat me up too badly if this is wrong forum.
    I need a lkpTable for vehicle costs. I attempted to build it in excel for an import into MSAccess, but excel went by pennies as incremental amount. If there is a way to change that, it would work, but am not aware of such. Does anybody know of a (yes, I am THAT student) free database that lists something akin to kelley blue boook pricing, or even a dbase lookup table that references amounts >$10000.00 and <250,000.00? Either I can work with.
    These don't need to be vehicle specific, as I have already built lookuup tables to reference a drop down menu for make, model and model year.
    Please help me.
    Thanks! and Cheers!
    ~James
    EDIT
    is there a way to form an field autopop in excel to do increments of 500. say 10500 11000 11500? that is waht i need can figure out rest fromt hrere
    Last edited by wilsonjallan; 05-05-09 at 07:10.

Slow down, sport.

You need a lookup table for vehicle costs? Why don't you just store the cost of the vehicle in your vehicle table?

And tell me you aren't planning to create a table just for holding dollar amounts in various increments?

You need to explain the goal of this project.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

goal of project is to create a dbase in MSAcess (on anything) for class midterm. My instructor seems to think that having alot of lkptables is a key design element (I disagree, but that's neither here nor..). When he critiqued my project, I had the vehicle costs in my table for the vehicles, but he said he would like to see them in their own lkptable. Hence my frustration. I am following the instructions given so as to keep my 4.0 GPA...sigh. Thanks for the reply, and I think I will just take the hit and build it into my vehicle table like it was. sigh..

Exactly what is supposed to go in this lookup table?
    What is that layout you propose, and can you give two or threes sample records?

blindman

goals revised

Sorry about the delay in reply. Midterms... Anyway.
    Your idea of storing vehicle costs in my vehicle table made my instructor smile. So, long story short. Thank you.
    This is an MSAccess course wherein the midterm exam is to create a dbase with a minnimum of five tables, with Data entry forms for each. That is where my headache began. Why would you want a data entry form for lookup tables? I can see adding to them on the fly is key, but one multiform would solve this, back-propagating the data to the original field. I don't know if I even understand what I mean by that but it seems to make sense. Sorry if I am sounding like an idiot right about now. I ended up building an excel table that incremented years and importing that as a lkpTable for years, so the user could have a pulldown of years. As it sits...
    User has drop down box for Make, Model, Year, and cost field is dumped in from a separate calll to the vehicle table. Does that make things clearer? It is just a project for vehicle sales with tables for cust, vehicle make, model, with lkpups for city by state -->by zip, depending on order of entry. Zip pulls state, state pulls zip, city pulls state and zip. I realize it seems redundant but that was the end result of his 'let me show you...'
    Thank you for your help. I just want to keep my 4.0GPA, while learning access, as it seems like some powerful mojo, once concepts are grasped.

Wisdom of the blindman: "There's no such thing as a lookup table."

One reason you might want a form for a lookup table is to allow an admin user to edit the list.

Kind of silly to have a lookup table of years, but if it is just for purposes of your assignment then, OK.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonjallan
    I just want to keep my 4.0GPA, while learning access, as it seems like some powerful mojo, once concepts are grasped.
    It's paid my bills pretty consistently.

What are the five(+) tables you have come up with so far?

blindman

five plus tables

So far I have
    Cars
    Customers
    lkpCarModels
    lkpColors
    lkpMakes
    lkpModelYears
    lkpStates
    lkpStatesbyZip
    lkpZipCodes

I am of the notion that these tables should have tied together more efficiently but the analyzerr keeps telling me to split them due to redundant data when I merge, say like lkp CarModels with lkp Makes/ModelYears.
    I did get my 100% on this btw, but am not happy with the layout of the dbase personally think it is not very optimized.

EDIT
    ***************\
    Turns out the optimizations got me me 100%..sigh