New member with question...

Hi all,

I'm new to this community and I'm looking for some guidance. I'm looking into the possibilities of having a db webapp handling a large number of articles (see attached for first thoughts). My concern is finding a suitable db to handle all the data. We're talking approx. 20,000 articles with 20 or so parameters each. I'm not worrying about the web app right now, just want to find the best db to go forward with. Thankful for any help...

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails db_question.jpg  

What are "articles"?
    What are "parameters"? Do you mean "attributes" or "columns"?
    Depending on exactly what these are, any database (including desktop databases) should handle 20k rows without breaking sweat.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for that rapid answer. Articles are products and the parameters are the different characteristics for each product, e.g. A = sulphur content, B = carbon content,.... Attributes maybe then?!

So if any database can handle this, which is most suited to use with a web app. that returns the products in a 'best match' view?

What I'm looking to do is that I enter the desired values to each attribute in a web app. and the database returns the most suitable product on top of the list and then the second most suitable and so on...

Thanks again!

Depends on usage, but any of the free server RDBMSs should be fine.

"Best Match" is something you will have to code up - SQL expressions evaluate to boolean values (true or false). So results are returned or not, there is no inbuilt ranking.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks a lot pootle flump!

I was hoping for a 'use this database to magically return the answer of all your questions...' but hey you can't get everything

If, for example, all your columns are integer values, you could rank by the sum of difference between the values in the tables and the values entered by the user. This is crude, but fairly simple. Other than that you need to specify your magical criteria
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump